We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Budget Hotel is Best?

dallas TX
4 posts
Save Topic
Which Budget Hotel is Best?

I've learned various budget hotels are having offers for $98 a night, which makes this fabulous island affordable for us. Which hotel would be best for an older couple simply looking to hang out and enjoy all the scenery and beauty? Garden Island Inn, Banyon Harbor Resort, Hanalei Bay Resort studio 1514, Best Western Plantation Hale, Kauai Inn. Mihalo and thank you.

California
Level Contributor
37,597 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

Garden Island Inn is a motel. Banyon Harbor is a very good option as your close to Kalapaki Bay. Hanalei Bay Resort unit 1514 is not in my favorite spot at the resort. I can help you find another unit there for the same price in a view location. At HBR you need to factor in tax and cleaning charges. Best Western, ugh, and Kauai Inn is a question mark. I am not familiar with that place.

Islander on the Beach is $109/nt and in a good central location.

The biggest question is when are you going?

Of all these mentioned I would dig deeper into Banyon Harbor and HBR. Different sides of the island. BH is more central.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,798 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

Kauai can be a very affordable island if you have time to research, but as Jebett said - it really depends on when you are going. As well as hotels, there are many condo rentals that are extremely affordable - I have found many in the $75 price range and that also gives you the benefit of being able to fix some of your food, which can really save on a trip to Kauai. Good luck - hope you find just what you are looking for. :)

dallas TX
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

I've been researching this for months, and would love to take you up on your offer to help me find another unit at HBR with a view for the same price. How can I take you up on your most kind offer? The when is probably going to be Sept or Oct 2009. I am trying to do all my homework, then get agreement by my husband. He knows what I'm trying to do and has told me $100/a nite is our budget for room. I know this is low for Kauai, and HBR would be my pick as I love the location, view and Happy Talk (yeah its reopened). I also don't want to waste any of your time. Thank you so much.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

Have you looked at Kauai Sands? Truely a budget motel, but good beach and good location. Best Western is way to far from from the ocean, you have to cross a field to reach it.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,115 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

I've seen Pono Kai units go for under $100. Not a bad place (condos), some are oceanfront, decent pool and close to Kapa`a Town.

California
Level Contributor
37,597 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

PM me and I need approx. dates and I will see what's open.

Does the $99/nt include taking into consideration a cleaning fee? If you are there a week then it's really like adding on $10 a night.

Happy Talk is open and music restarts friday I have heard. The luau should start in Sept as well.

pzp knows a studio condo in Kapaa that she used to stay at that was reasonable. I can't think of the name of it.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

One of my favorite properties is Waikomo Stream Villas. They often have rates of $79/night plus cleaning fees. It is in a good central location in Poipu and very spacious.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

Mar0, excellent suggestion - Waikomo Stream villas. Right in Poipu, beautiful lush grounds, nice quiet pool. Not to forget those deep discounts Waikomo is offering right now:

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/waikomo-stream…

Units starting at $79, you have to call for the discount.

I'd seriously consider the Kauai Inn, of all of those you've listed. A vintage hotel, one of the original , closed down for years and now rebuilt and up and running again. A somewhat historical spot as actors used to stay there to film some old movies in the 50's and 60's. John Wayne and others. It was considered the cheaper option to coco palms resort. Great quiet location over near the Huleia River and Kalapaki Bay.

www.kauaiinn.com/…

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,115 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

Jebett, I think you're referring to Kapa`a Sands. They're getting $150/night last I checked.

I'd stay away from Kaua`i Sands. Everything I've ever hear says it's pretty crummy even for a budget place.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Budget Hotel is Best?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'd second the choice of "Kaua'i Inn" - it is in a quiet residential neighborhood right past the Small Boat Harbor at Niumalu - on the way to the Alekoko Fishpond (aka Menehune fishpond) - it really looks lovely and they have put a lot of money into redoing it - it does definitely give you an "Old Hawai'i" type feel and if I was looking for a "budget" accomodation - I'd certainly give it a shot personally.

Here is their website:

http://www.kauaiinn.com/

Malama Pono,

Janet