We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy Hike for November trip

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Easy Hike for November trip

Hi everyone,

I'm currently finalizing our plans for our Thanksgiving trip to Hawaii for my mom's 60th birthday. We have rented a home in Wailua Homestead (Kapa'a). We plan to cook a full Thanksgiving dinner at the home and eat around 5pm. It's our family tradition to take a hike the morning of Thanksgiving, so I'm wondering if anyone can give us some recommendations for an easy hike that is close by. I have the revealed book, but most of the hikes look long and/or difficult. My mom isn't in the greatest shape, so I'd prefer to keep the hike to under 2 hours and nothing with steep inclines.

Thanks so much for any suggestions you can provide!!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

This site has some great hikes. www.condosinkauai.com/All_Kauai_Sites2.html In fact there are 3 you can take right there from Wailua.

We really enjoyed the Nounou Mt. East, "Sleeping Giant" trail. It get's little strenuous towards the top but that's where the view is the best.

New York
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

Aloha,

I am not so sure this qualifies as a hike but the path along the coast that begins at Otsuka's Furniture and goes north is a wonderful and easy walk, especially when there are nice breezes coming off the water.

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

There is a pedestrian path that goes south for about 2 miles starting at Lydgate Park. This is just south of Kapaa. This is pretty much flat so it qualifies as not being overly strenuous. There are nice ocean views along the way.

A little more strenuous and doable if it is dry would be the Kuilau trail by the Keahua arboretum.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

The Sleeping Giant trail is pretty steep in spots. If mom is out of shape, this one might be kinda ugly. The Kuilau trail up Kuamoo is much easier and has a nice view for a payoff. It's not as awe inspiring as going up the Giant, but it has a gentler slope which is good if it has been raining.

hawaii-guide.com/index.php/…

same site has the Nounou (sleeping giant trail description).

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

Indeed, the Sleeping Giant (Nonou) East and West trails are quite steep, rising about 1000 feet in 2 miles and 1 mile, respectively. However, the Nonou Kuamoo trail is much flatter and considered a very easy hike. You start by Kuamoo road, right next to the horse pasture above Opaekaa falls. You cross the stream on a big bridge then go up gently through the forest to a lookout shelter with views of the Wailua Homesteads and Waialeale in the distance if you're lucky. That's about 30 minutes each way, taking it easy, 45 if you dally. You can continue for another 1/2 mile into the forest to a pretty bamboo grove. Bring insect repellent on this hike.

The Kuilau trail, near the end of the pavement on Kuamoo Rd, is very easy as well, and you also reach a picnic shelter just over a mile into the hike. Here you're not in a neighborhood, so the views are more natural, the forest is a bit more native, and you're closer to Waialeale. But it can be rainier. You can also keep going on the trail until you feel like turning around, it goes down another 1/2 mile to a little bridge where it connects to the Moalepe trail.

The Moalepe trail is also a possibility, but nowhere near as nice as those two. It starts from the end of Olohena Rd, further north of Kuamoo, and it is just a dirt road through old pastures at the beginning. Eventually it reaches the forest and some nice views after about a mile or so.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

If you want to be in a more natural envirorment, with very beautiful mountain views I would 2nd the Kuilau trail. I have always found it a fairly easy and rewarding hike. One tip park in the Arboretum. The few times we have done the hike there was lot's of glass in the small lot at the beginning of the trail from what looked like cars being broken into.

Have fun

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

Great suggestions...

With mom and family.....

The Path than runs along the coast would be solid footing, easy, marvelous views of the coast, and very nearby where you are staying.

If it has not been raining, and the Kuilau Ridge Trail, is dry....you could have a marvelous walk/hike up that wide, and easy trail. Super lush views of the valley and Mt.Waialeale. much of the trail is shaded, and very family friendly.

One mile to the picnic tables up on a grassy meadow area, to sit and relax and enjoy the view. Although you will have plenty of open vistas on the way up. Very slight grade up hill, and family friendly.

On Kuamo'o road, near the wailua river, you all could also stop at the viewpoint for Opaeka'a Falls, then continue on up Kuamo'o Road, and park, as already advised at the Arboretum, and walk back to the trail head in about one minute or so.

You are getting great advice.

Denny

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

Fantastic, thank you everyone! These are some wonderful suggestions. Can't wait to visit Kauai!

Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

We just hiked the Kuilau trail this morning.

Great views and a very easy hike.

We went beyond the picnic tables and continued to the end of the trail.

This last half mile was gorgeous.

It did rain lightly on us a good bit of the time, so take rain jackets.

Also the hike back was a bit slippery due to the rain.

Saw some cool birds, too.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy Hike for November trip

I would second the suggestion of the Kuilau Ridge Hike - even just up to the picnic shelter and back. It would be very convenient for you in the Homesteads -- you can feel the temperature and check the clouds for rain before you load your backpacks with drinks and snacks.

All other suggestions are also good. The coastal path is definitely a pleasure and very easy walking. You can catch the path in many places and go either direction. I especially like it in the cool of the evening.