We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

Omaha, NE
3 posts
Save Topic
Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

Hi! I think my husband and I have decided to stay on the East shore (for location most of all) for our 3 short days in Kauai in mid November this year, thanks to all that had suggestions. What I am looking for in a hotel is something around $200 and under, and someplace that will give me fantastic views of a beach sunrise. Can anyone offer any suggestions. I am just having a hard time deciding between all of the reviews. :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

I don't know the east side hotels at all. Hopefully, another expert will chime in. In the meantme, check out the map of Kauai with the aerial views of the east side. You can contract and compare with this information to start. The reviews on TA are pretty accurate, most of the time. We've seen some reviews posted by folks affliated with the hotel at times.

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Look at the hotels listed at and above the Hilton I drove through there last June and it looked very nice.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

Since I live here (on the east side of Kauai - the sunrise side!) I don't stay in the hotels obviously, but I do visit clients in many of the area hotels and condos. If you are looking for a hotel type room (not a condo) the Hilton Hotel, The Aloha Beach Hotel, The Aston Kauai Resort at Makaiwa and the Waipouli Beach Resort are pretty much your only choices.

The beach in front of the Hilton is not very populated and would offer a great view of the sun rising in the east. The beach in front of the Aloha Beach Resort is often more crowded, as it's a public park, but if you walk south toward the Kaha Lani condos and Nukoli'i Beach, you'll be treated to a beautiful sunrise. The Makaiwa and Waipouli have nice sunrise skies, but the beaches are slightly more populated with people that time of day. Still, not a lot of people out at sunrise - but if you want a serene early morning view, you really can't go wrong anywhere on the east side.

I wouldn't know about the service, rates or amenities in the hotels -- I'm just commenting on the beaches fronting them. I am often out a sunrise with guests of these hotels.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

I stayed at the Hilton two years ago and it sounds like it would be a perfect fit for you.

Very pretty (although not swimmable) beach, not crowded at all. Lovely beach for a long morning stroll... if you pass 5 people you will be surprised.

If you get an ocean view room, even the views from your lanai will be stunning.

It should be right within your budget, too.

Have a nice trip!

Omaha, NE
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I will take a look at those you all have mentioned. I am a photography buff and hope to capture some beautiful shots I can have blown up and framed. Thanks again! :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'd vote for the Aloha Beach Resort myself - that is the one that is located up the hill from Lydgate, no?

It used to be called the Kaua'i Resort - I actually stayed there on my very first trip to Kaua'i on my honeymoon back in.......let's just say awhile ago!!

It has changed hands and names many times over the years - but it is a good, moderate hotel with an incredible sunrise view. Its access to Lydgate Park is one of the "pluses" for it in my opinion - you can easily walk down to the beach area and enjoy the swimming there as well. Just awesome sunrise views.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

Janet,

My husband stayed there when it was the Holiday Inn Sunspree? hotel. A while ago. HIs only complaint was that the pavilion at Lydgate had some late night parties and the noise level was not acceptable for him. The music and party went well past mid-night and the hotel staff was unable or unwilling to do anything about it. His room was very close to this area. I like the location as well. I wonder if they have resolved the issue of noise from that area?

Marti

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

What about the Hotel Coral Reef? Since it’s remodel (it used to be a dump), it is getting fantastic reviews on TA. I have not stayed there, but would in a heartbeat. They are offering some great deals too.

http://www.hotelcoralreefresort.com/

You might consider a condo too, though some will require a stay longer than 3 days. Any of the condo properties on Papaloa Road will have gorgeous sunrise views:

Wailua Bay View

Hale Awapuhi

Kapaa Sands

Lani Kai

Lae Nani

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

The Wailua Bay View has great views out over the bay.(Gee, you think that's why they named it that? LOL) There can be some noise in the BR's because they face the parking lot and a mini-mart. I said if we ever stayed there again I'd sleep in the LR.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Martik" - yes, I remember when it was a Holiday Inn Sunspree - that was a few years ago - that place has changed names so many times - yikes!

I don't know about the noise issues at Lydgate Park but since it is a public park and their large pavillion is down the hill from the hotel - I'd imagine if there are any large parties booked at the pavillion - you'd have the same noise issues. No way to avoid that I would think.

I think it depends somewhat on where you stay at the property as well - rooms up closer to the lobby/pool area would probably be less likely to have any noise problems.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with a beach/sunrise view

Janet,

His room was the top floor (I think) on the corner closest the pavilion. Noise travels up and being on the corner did not help. That's why I mentioned it; if the poster asks for a room away from this area, it should be fine.

Marti