We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

This is a very specific request, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where they have live Hawaiian music on Thursday nights in Kauai. We are staying in Kapaa, so we prefer any side of the island besides the west side.

On a personal note, we are taking my mom back to Hawaii for her 60th birthday. My family lived there for years before my father passed and then they all moved away. I think she'd love nothing more than to spend one of her last nights in paradise listening to some local tunes. :)

By the way, if you can't think of some good places on Thursday, we also have the evening free on Tuesday although we had plans to eat in and relax at our rental home that night.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

Aloha from Kaua'i!

On Thursday night - there is live, free, traditional Hawaiian music at the Grand Hyatt Kaua'i in the Po'ipu Beach area - the Seaview Terrace (which overlooks the ocean) has Leilani Rivera Bond and Daynes Pabo - who play and sing nahenahe (“soft….a gentle voice”) Hawaiian music.

It is a lounge, and you are welcome to purchase drinks - but if you do not wish to - you are welcome to simply sit and listen to the music in the comfy chairs. It starts at 6pm and goes until 8pm.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

Many places have live music on Thursdays, but much of it isn't really advertised anywhere on an efficient list. My pick would be the Tahitian Bar and Grill at the Waipouli Beach Resort on Thursdays... Lately, on most Thursdays "K Town Heroes" have been playing, featuring Aldrine Guerrero playing Ukulele Tunes - just wonderful! You'll love the young energetic style, with a mixture of fresh and easily recognizable tunes. I think the music starts at 6:30 -- you can order a small dinner along with drinks there. Nice open air atmosphere.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I guess I was confused with the question initially - when the OP said "Hawaiian music" - I assumed that they were interested in traditional Hawaiian music - "Hawaiian Music" these days can be anything from Jawaiian to Reggae to jazz/pop to mixes of all.

There is free live music somewhere on island every night of the week - I guess it just depends on what type of music you are looking for. The music that I posted info about is primarily traditional and in Hawaiian language - also meant to say that there is live "Hawaiian" music in that same spot at the Hyatt every night of the week from 6pm to 8pm - the musicians I noted play every night but Monday and Wednesday - I'm not 100% sure who is on the other two nights, but it is billed as "Hawaiian music".

You'll never have trouble finding live music here - everyone and their neighbor here are either musicians or aspiring musicians it seems!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
794 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

Caffe Coco in Kapa'a (across the highway from Kintaro's) has live music most nights in their outdoor dining area, and I believe Thursdays are identified as Hawaiian night:

http://www.restauranteur.com/caffecoco/

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

I know you mentioned Tuesday or Thursday but here is another place, but on Mondays on the north shore:

www.kauaimedgourmet.com/entertainment.htm

MondayHawaiian Music with Na Leo O` Wainiha

- with Peter Piilani, Joe Ponimoi & Honey Girl

This delightful trio is a local treasure, playing the music of Hawaii charismatically and with much aloha.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

I love Brother Iz, Kapono, Hapa, Kealii Reichel, etc. That's what I'm looking for. That's the type of music I grew up on. Does that change anyone's suggestions?

By the way, Thursday is thanksgiving, so we are thinking Thursday may be better. I like the idea of Tahiti Nui in Hanalei if they will have Hawaiian music.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

Sorry, that should say "Tuesday" may be better. And I like the traditional ukelele and slack key music as well as the stuff I listed, but it's great to hear the songs I grew up on if possible. Can't wait, thanks so much for your help. I've found tripadvisor to be a wonderful resource thanks to the great local opinions.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Brother Iz, Kapono, Hapa, Kealii Reichel, etc" - each of these artists are known for both traditional as well as contemporary Hawaiian music - as far as ki ho'alu (slack key) - I'd imagine many places offer this as well.

The McMaster's ki ho'alu (slack key) concert up in Hanalei is a well known concert held each Sunday at 3pm - they do a very laid back version of

slack key stylings.

I'd stay away from Jawaiian or Reggae given your tastes - altho' Kapono has dipped his toe into both of those as well as rock.

The Hawaiian music that I mentioned at the Hyatt - well, it is mostly traditional (definitely more Brother Iz and Keali'i Reichel style) with some

ki ho'alu playing thrown in by Leilani's musician, Daynes Pabo.

Enjoy - music is everywhere on Kaua'i - you just have to known where to find it!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

I also highly recommend Aldrine Guerrero- K-town Heroes on Thursday nights at WBR. He is AMAZING on the ukulele, extremely talented, sings cover songs and his own songs and shreds on the uke like no other except for Jake S. who is his mentor. He is actually on tour right now, just finshed New York and is now in the Bay Area. Hope to see him play tom. at the St Helena Uke Festival at Beringer Vineyards. I think after this weekend, he flies back to Kauai but I'd call WBR to see when he is playing this week. He is not to be missed, he also has a great sense of humor and filled with tons of aloha.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live Hawaiian Music (Thursday nights)

You might check out a couple of places fairly close to you, as well as the other suggestions.

TREES....at about 5:00 PM in the back area of the Coconut Market Place, every night. Call and ask them what type of music they have. Now, this is during the early happy hour time....later at night, the music style can change with different groups.

WAHOO's....heard and also saw a sign that they have live entertainment, but we have not been there as yet....but told yesterday ( rumor control) that it was hawaiian music. Mauka side of the road in Kapa'a.

KEOIKIS Paradise: Located in the Poipu Shopping Village, has early happy hour hawaiian music in the lounge. Neat place, south pacific style, indoor waterfall, and easy going.

You have a few additional ideas, but please call them and get the scoops on times, and style, just to make sure that it is what you wish to share with your loved ones.

Denny