We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Topic
Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Just to let everyone the Tahitian Lanai Bar and Grill at the Waipouli Beach Resort will be closed until further notice while they change management. It's been our favorite place to go to see various local entertainers these past few months, Fun place.

We went to help close the place down for their last night on Saturday. Haunani Kaui and her various sidekicks and guest dancers. (Yes, she got me up there a few times!) What a fun time!.

I hope they re-open again soon. When they do, we should have a TA gathering there... Centrally located in Wailua-Kapaa.

I'm posting this so that our TAers won't drop by hoping to grab a bite, a drink and listen to music, only to find them closed after walking through the resort to the beach side Tahitian Lanai.

California
Level Contributor
39,793 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Thanks Hula (you party animal you) for this update. You said new management. Is the bar not run by Outrigger?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Aloha from Kaua'i!

With the downturn in visitors recently - it has gotten harder for local entertainers to find venues to play - many places don't want to put the money out to have entertainment playing to almost to empty rooms.

Sad, but true - I hope the new Management there will re-open and give Haunani her job back!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

That really is a cool place...we went up there for a birthday party, and with the band, and dancing, etc.....had a grand time.

For fairly close by, another suggestion is Trees, for entertainment and fun, and being friendly......back side of the Coconut Market Place.

Local easy going entertainment for happy hour....and different island bands after HH.

ahhh,,, so many places, so little time.

Denny

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Mahalo, hula. I agree it would be a nice place to try a TA party. See if they can cope. :)

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Bummer! I love Aldrine Guerrero/ K-town Hereos and now I'm wondering where he will be playing as they are there twice a week! Yes, the bar is great, nice ocean view, quaint bar, good reasonable food with good portions- I miss the crab rolls and the lava flows!!!!!!

somers point, nj
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Hi,

We have reservations at this hotel from Feb. 7 - 13, 2010. Would you know if the bar/restaurant will be open by then? If not, could you reccomend another hoterl similar to this that we could stay at instead?

Thanks,

Amy

somers point, nj
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Hi,

We have reservations at this hotel Feb 7 - 13, 2010. Would you know if the bar/restaurant will be open by then? If not, we will have to change to another hotel and I don't want to wait too long to do so.

Thanks,

Amy

California
Level Contributor
39,793 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

First of all WBR isn't a hotel. It is a condo development. I don't think the resort knows when the bar will be back up and running. I would imagine it depends on the economy. Their spa has closed as well. I know they have a very bad foreclosure problem at this resort. People paid WAY too much for their island getaway and now they are in deep trouble. Its too bad because the condos are nice.

If you want a "full service" hotel check out The Marriott in Lihue, Hyatt in Poipu or Koa Kea. There aren't many condos with a restaurant attached, but a few other ideas are Marriott Poipu, Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu, Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville and The Westin Princeville. Just an FYI. There are many, many places to eat close by WBR. McDonalds is even across the street.

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

Hi Amy~

We were just at the WBR and although a little disappointed the restaurant was closed it was fine because there are so many other restaurants well within walking distance. Pacific Bistro and Pho Vy are right across the street and The Bullshed is right next door. There is also a new Italian restaurant a short walk south. I think you would be fine there unless you were wanting room service.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort - Tahitian Lanai Bar&Grill - Closing

The foreclosure problem at Waipouli is about to get much much worse from what I hear. Supposedly the original developer held back about 30 units betting on the come. Now those units are heading into foreclosure ($1400/month fees X 30 adds up real fast). This shouldn't affect the Outrigger operation though.

As for food, you really do have about 10 choices within a 5 min walk of WBR -- McDonalds, Wahooo, Lemongrass, Kauai Pasta, Pho Vy, 2-3 more in the Safeway center. Bobby Vs, and the bakery next door + the Bull Shed. With in a 5 min drive you have 10+ more from Wailua to Kapaa. Food availability should not be a problem You even have 2 major grocery stores right across the street and an over the top kitchen in your suite unless you have one of the 5 hotel studio units (300 ft2).

Very few of the condo resorts have a real restaurant at the moment. Plantation Gardens in Poipu's Kiahuna resort,

Nanea in Princeville's Westin. Med. Gourmet in Hanalei Colony come to mind. Others have a bar with a limited menu if anything at all If you are looking for a full service resort, WBR is not a great fit.

None of these are top rated but several are pretty good and others hit the fast food demo.