We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
712 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article…

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Oh-oh. Surf's up. Anyone expecting a visit from his plumber, electrician, drywaller, etc. should be ready for a no-show! LOL Hope only the pro's give the real biggies a try.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Yep, the word has been out for a few days now, and our plan is to head up north to check it out. But waiting for the really BIG day.

The extremely high surf will take jet skis to get the surfers up to speed, as paddlng speed generally will not work on those 40 footers.

40 to 50 footers. We will probably try ke'e ...well, along beginning of the hanakapiai trail that is above the breaking waves.....and also hanalei bay area to see any surfing attemps. The waves at hanalei bay will be breaking a ways out...but I would like to see those very experienced surfers taking them on. Too bad Erica does not have one of the super telephoto lenses for her camera. There will be plenty of people there who do.

That is some big stuff.....and hopefully, only the most skilled will be in the water. Big wave surfers only.

12 to 15 footers will have more participation......and yep.....Jbett is rigtht on...

Denny

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

LOL Chisue...reminded of the signs in the shop windows in Paia..."If surf's up I'm not here!" would LOVE to see that!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

It's getting pretty exciting around here. Jet ski's NOT!! Waiting for the Eddie. All indications are that this 25th anniversary is a GO!! DH took Monday off so we are headed to Waimea. Hopefully the roads won't be closed.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Msfuzz, take that sleeping bag in case you get stuck and have to sleep in your car, LOL!

I hope the Eddie goes. It would be great after all these years, huh?

Visitors, please, please be SAFE. This is not just fun and games-even on beaches where the surf is lower, it can be very rough and there can be substantial rip currents. Two basic rules to remember: Never turn your back on the ocean, and if no one else is in the water....YOU shouldn't be either!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,217 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Earlier in the week I had thought to spend the morning beachcombing but quickly changed plans when I heard the predictions. Ah, well. I'll finishing Christmas ornaments for a craft show with my halau tomorrow.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Jaws, anyone?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Msfuzz, you or somebody please take photos and post them!!!!

In case you don’t understand the reference to “Eddie”, here is a link about him:

http://www.eddieaikaufoundation.org/eddie.htm

Also the link to the invitational surf contest held in his honor:

live.quiksilver.com/2009/bigwave/press.php…

3Chihuahuas

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Msfuzz, please keep us informed Ms. "Jaws woman". And I understand that remark about "Eddie".

They say, Eddie used to wear PINK I hear....ah....NOT! :)

California
Level Contributor
35,521 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monday surf could reach 50 feet on Hawaii's N-facing shores.

Aloha from Kauai. I just arrived and couldn't figure out why there were so many big trucks parked at HBR and all these guys were checking out the surf. I asked the bellman and he said 50 footers are headed our way. I have a ring side seat folks! These are supposed to be the biggest waves in 20 years. Should be quite a show. I think I will take my chair and head to Tunnels or Ke'e myself.

Thanks for the warning about a drywaller. As a matter of fact I was wondering why he hasn't called back. LOL Now I know!!!!!!!