We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

AK
10 posts
Save Topic
Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

We were planning on visiting Kauai and staying at the Waipouli Beach Resort for 8 nights in early April. Now that I am seeing the spa closing, restaurant closing am worried that the sidewalk may roll up too! It is myself, husband and 4 1/2 year old. In doing more research on Kauai - looks like a lot of stuff is becoming a ghost town due to the economy. I know us not going would not help things out, but we want to go somewhere where we can all have fun. We were really looking forward to being able to eat right on the water at the resort. I know from another post the restaurant may open up again, but don't want to go there expecting it to be open. Is there even enough for us to do to keep us entertained for 8 days in Kauai in early April? I am also getting frustrated that most of the tours will not allow younger children and is another reason I am concerned about going. So far we only have plane tickets booked to HNL - I haven't booked the inter island yet - so we could just stay in Waikiki. I can still cancel the Waipouli hotel with no penalty at this point. My husband and I have already done Waikiki/Oahu in the past so were interested in trying something new, but if Kauai may not be a good fit for us, we wouldn't mind doing Oahu again. Thanks in advance for everyone's advice!

California
Level Contributor
36,452 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

This has got to be your call. 8 nights on the Kauai is never enough time for me. I know so many people that bring their 4 or 5 year olds and have a wonderful time. I could list all the activities but I bet you know them already.

As far as WBR? I would still stay there even without a restaurant. You are walking distance to many places you won't even miss it. The carpet will not roll up. WBR has a wonderful pool your 4 1/2 yr old will love.

If your heart is set on Kauai give it another look. I bet you will love it. Maybe you could spend a few days in HNL first.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

Kauai is not becoming a ghost town. Tourism is alive and well there, no more , no less than any other of the islands.

Sure, there are cases of businesses closing up but from my many travels there lately it's not much different than the extent to which I see it in many mainland places. You're only hearing about the places that have closed. You aren't reading here about what has NOT closed and not too much either about the businesses that have taken their place. I wouldn't cancel Kauai because of this.

On your other issue of no activities for kids. What kind of tours and activities are you thinking for a 4 year old ?? True, the helicopter operators don't want that age and some of the boat operators don't like that age because of the rougher waters along NaPali coast but outside of that I'm having a hard time imagining a 4 year old who couldn't have a whale of time anywhere in hawaii. I think back to when mine were that age and younger and they were more than content with being on Kauai and just swimming, playing in the sand, jumping in the pool, some short hikes, playing Tarzan, car rides. Just being with Mom and Dad when they were in their 'relaxed mode' was a change for them. hehe

I do remember my son going with us on a napali tour when he was about the same age as yours though. Maybe they've tightened up restrictions? I also remember him wishing he was back at the pool, to be honest.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

<<I am also getting frustrated that most of the tours will not allow younger children>>

Sorry, I cannot comment on Waipouli, we usually stay in Poipu. But what tours did you look into that your 4 year old is not allowed to attend? I've been traveling with my two kids since they were infants. They are now ages 8 & 10. I was able to take my 2 year old on Captain Andy's 2 1/2 hour sunset cruise of Poipu. The 4 1/2 hour tour would be too long for a 4 year old, IMO. But they will take a child as young as 2 (make sure to have a life vest for your child!). Also, 4 years is probably too young for ziplining. We took our kids on OUtfitters last summer and I know they are the only ones that can accomodate children (I do not know the minimum age, however).

There is a lot of great stuff to do on Kauai with kids. Just do a search on traveling with children and you'll see some great ideas! We love Kamalani Playround at Lydgate park. We also like to take them to the Hyatt for the Bird Talk show and feeding the Koi. They also have a fun keiki hula that my kids love to watch. Lots and lots of stuff to do....

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

On another note......

Have you considered Maui? I say this because you're used to Waikiki , want to try something different, but you ask if there' enough on Kauai to keep you entertained for 8 days. It might work for you as you'll have more types of activities and planned tours to pick from.

AK
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

Thanks for all the quick updates! I did see Cpt. Andy's will take kids - and I think we may do a sunset cruise which is their shortest one. Some of the stuff she can't do is tubing, horseback riding, zip lining (I figured that since she is too light) and some of the surfing places won't take that young - but she says she wants to try to surf so I hate to hold her back. I am mainly disappointed in horseback riding, as she LOVES animals and loves Horseback riding. She is a very adventurous little kid and just lives for new experiences. I do know tour operators have to cover themselves with liability though. I may be wanting to do too much too. This will be our first big vacation where she is old enough to do more than crawl so we are new to doing stuff with her along with us. My husband and I love doing the adventurous stuff so we are new to balancing family fun on our vacations. So thanks for the good points that she will probably just be happy enough to play in the pool the whole time and will think that is just great. I have only heard great and wonderful things about Kauai, which is why we would love to go - I just get worried reading some of the posts. I am probably over researching! :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

Really hun, you will be fine! Your last post really explained it! As adventurous parents now is the time to follow Her lead and teach her along the way that same gusto for life you have...appropriate for her age! Believe me it will not be long before you're scrambling to catch up with her. Please don't give up on Kauai!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,610 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

Cmom, the woman I ride with every week will probably still be taking individual kids come April. Don't know for sure, as she's been talking about cutting back. No ponies, though, so your child would have to be rather bold, as the horses are big. Still, there are a couple of 4-5-year olds. The trail we take is very simple, just out through the ranch (Bette Midler''s property) but has some nice views and is nice and relaxed. She'll lead a kid from her horse. Gentle, well-trained horses, especially old Wesley that she uses for the kids.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

We spent a day at Hanalei Bay last summer (parked at the far west end). We saw a father teaching his young child (maybe 3-4) how to surf. It was perfect because the "waves" were little ripples, perfect for a little one to try it. He was using a small boogie board.

Outfitters in Poipu *might* take a child that young. For some reason, I remember 5 being the youngest because their gear was just too big for anyone smaller.

http://outfitterskauai.com/

Also, Captain Andy's large 46' catamaran is perfect for children and the elderly. We took my 80year old mother last year and we saw a 2-3 year old also on the boat.

napali.com/kauai_sailing/napali_sunset_dinne…

There are some great hikes for small kids as well.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_kauai/

The Na ‘Āina Kai Botnaical Gardens also has a children's area:

www.naainakai.org/gardens/children.html

You can also look into "Wings Over Kauai" as an aerial tour. They do not mention a minimum age on their website. We've been flying with our kids for years. Might be a nice option to the helicopter tour!

www.wingsoverkauai.com/kauai-air-tours.html

Don't forget Kamalani Park at Lydgate Park!

http://www.kamalani.org/playground.htm

You'll have plenty to do! We always run out of time to do everything we want to do on each trip.

California
Level Contributor
36,452 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

I know a great surfing teacher that would take a 2 year old if they knew how to swim.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
98 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waipouli for 8 nights in April - should we still do it?

Pzp, the horse back ride sounds really fun and is something we might like to do in May. Where can I get more details?

Thanks, Michelle