We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable trip to Kauai?

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mill Valley
8 posts
Save Topic
Affordable trip to Kauai?

I'm looking to take a trip to Kauai in Jan. or Feb. and am looking for an affordable condo in an area that's not too rainy.. I know about a studio in Kapaa that rents for $550/wk though it only has full size beds which are a bit small for me (I'm 6'2").. I also am very fond of great surf and would love to explore the Island, since I've been to Maui and Oahu previously.. Any advice on where to stay, dine, etc. as well as the best airfares? Thanks!

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

Aloha!

You should consider the newly renovated Resort Quest Islander on the Beach. The property is located on the east side in Kapaa. The renovation has done wonders, and you get a real bang for the buck. The property is beachfront but not a swimmable beach.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

Aloha! Oh, are you going to love Kauai. My favorite area is the North shore, but it does tend to be rainy, though I know that can vary. The good thing about Kauai, is that no matter where you stay, you can drive very easily to any part of the island in a relatively short time - it's not nearly as congested as Maui. The surf is up on the North shore during the winter . . . but the whole island is beautiful and worth exploring. Do pick up a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Revealed - it will be a great help to you on your trip - very detailed info on everything. And of course, help advice is readily available on this site. :)

Here are two helpful websites that list some very affordable accommodations on Kauai:

http://www.kauaivacationresorts.com/ and vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/kauai

I believe you can check Aloha Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines for deals from California -just deleted one today showing some great rates at Aloha. But I would also check many of the other websites - you never know what you may find.

Happy planning and enjoy Kauai . . .it's paradise. :)

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

Islander On The Beach is OK, it's basically converted hotel rooms that are now condo "suites". Pretty small, around 300 sq ft., no kitchen but small fridge and possibly a microwave oven depending on who's marketing that unit. They at least have queen beds and a full size pullout sofa. Better for those 6' and better!! Usually rents for around a hundred bucks a night.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,078 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

I'm told that Pono Kai units are pretty nice if you get one away from the road. Last I knew, the one(s) managed by Marc Resorts were in the Entertainment book for 1/2 price.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

A new hotel just opened up in Lihue, actually it's a refurbished old hotel, but it's very economical for those who only will be on the go most of the time. Worth looking into, for those who don't need to be oceanfront. It's at the end of Kalena Street, near Hamura Saimin and Lihue Barbecue Inn and 14 other restaurants. This isn't a resort, but something to consider for those on a budget, who aren't looking for luxury and ocean views.

www.kauaipalmshotel.com

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

Agree with hula4me that this hotel/motel is worth checking out. I drove by in late November and saw that the entire complex has been renovated and has a pleasant exterior appearance. I understand rates begin at $65.00 per night. It is not in a tourist area but rather mostly a business area. It is located along a side street in Lihue (the Kauai County seat). Sorry now that I did not check the interiors or bed situations. Can't hurt to ask them via email address provided. I would consider it myself if I could not get into the condo I use regularly right away or if I wished to stay in Kauai longer.

What it most reminds me of is an independent small complex you might find in any small town, nicer than a "6" or an "8" or perhaps almost like a Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express you might find en route from S.F. to Santa Rosa. There was a nice article about it in The Garden Island News (go to kauaiworld.com) and do a search for the "Palms Hotel." A plus is that it is really easy to get from one side of the island to the other from Lihue in 30-45 minutes.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

We booked a condo through suiteparadise.com in the Poipu Kai resort. It was a short walk to a very nice beach and the condo was super nice. The grounds are very beautiful. We bundled a car into the deal through them as well, which you will want on Kauai. You can actually view pricing on-line as well without having to get a travel agent or owner involved. I'd highly recommend the Poipu area. It is also know to be much drier in the winter than the north end of the island. For flights the cheapest we found was booking direct with United. Hawaiian Air has/had some specials that started after we returned so you may want to look at their prices on-line as well.

8. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2006, 04:22
formerly lived in...
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

coalminer, We Alaskan's get around huh? I used to live in Anchorage and am back in the lower 48 these days. However I was able to get back in May for about a month, we were able to drive into Denali with the rental about 50 miles. Anyway on to Kauai:

I been posting to a thread on dollar stores in the Maui. Here is my question:

What's neat to see and do on Kauai? I am looking for a cheap- say sub $700 a week rental apt. as I want to spend the money doing things and for food and drink. I've never been to Kauai but Hana is my idea place on Maui so I like laid back sorta places. I'll buy a cooler and go shopping as opposed to eating out so often. What do the locals say are good places to sea kayak, hike and take in nature,and good discount lodging

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable trip to Kauai?

AK Mike: Well hello! I have been to Hana - stayed for a few days and did the whole drive - some folks thought we were nuts, but you know Alaskans! Glad you get back up here occasionally - you should consider posting on the Alaskan site, as we could use more posters there. Not nearly as active as the Hawaii sites, but it does get busier as summer approaches.

If you enjoy Hana, I would recommend staying on the North shore of Kauai, somewhere near the town of Hanalei. Great little town w/lots of character . . . some nice little shops and some great restaurants - more to offer than Hana in that regard. Check out some of the websites I listed above - I have found some places that are under your $700 a week, just depends on when you are going. Some places up their prices on the North shore during the summer because it's so incredible then. I don't know how much of a Maui fan you are - I actually enjoy Kauai much more - I think the beaches and snorkeling are better, and it's just not nearly as touristy and congested as Maui, except of course, Hana is pretty laid back! I hope this helps. I will try to post tomorrow another few sites I have found that list some nice looking places for cheap. Happy planning! :)