We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anahola beach

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Anahola beach

Hi everyone,

What would staying on Anahola beach be like? I might have a few leads for a house to rent for my big family get together for next Christmas.

Thanks for any info.

Cat

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anahola beach

Thing to check is how rough is the ocean there in winter, how easy/safe to get in and out...and did you want to go swimming there?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anahola beach

Yes, swimming and snorkeling are high on the desired activities. I was reading that the snorkeling is good right from the beach there but I'm somewhat confused about the water's gentleness in December. I was thinking that in the North, the water in the winter months is rather rough. But I don't know about the east side.

Thanks for any info.

c.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anahola beach

This website might help with the question on ocean conditions around the island:

kauaiexplorer.com/guides/beach/seasonal_surf…

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anahola beach

I've snorkeled once here and it was just okay... it was in November and we went there one day because Tunnels beach was too rough that day... but it wasn't a favorite for snorkeling. But it Anahola does put you in a good position for traveling around and exploring many beaches- that way if one looks rough just go to another one. I think one part of this beach might have boogie boarding too but I'm not sure and I'm not a fan of boarding without a lifeguard stand- the rip currents are a serious deal in Kauai and I just don't risk it and I grew up in s. cal and know how to deal with them but they can be strong on Kauai. (not only on Anahola)

Have you checked the flickr.com site... I like to use this as a visual aid to see if I like the way things look... just put Anahola beach in the search and check it out.... Once you do this I also like to see recent photos ... select "recent" and sometimes you'll get lucky with new photos. (Also try youtube and see if you like the look of this beach yourself).

Personally, I'm a fan of Hanalei at Christmas time.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anahola beach

It's a big beach - 3/4 mile long for the section up to the river, and then another 3/4+ miles of coast past the river (that section is called Aliomanu). The main swimming section is reef protected and has a lifeguard tower. I've never seen good snorkeling there but it may be possible under certain conditions.

hawaiigaga.com/kauai/beaches/anahola-bay.aspx

You won't see a lot of tourists in Anahola so it's more like staying in a residential neighborhood. Some people will like it, others may feel like outsiders. It just depends on your attitude and personality. There are some very nice homes along the coast, especially in Aliomanu.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anahola beach

I have swam at Anahola Beach Park numerous times and snorkeled a few.

I did not find snorkeling good when I was there in Summer. When I just swam and other visitors I came across had snorkeled, they reported they did not see many fish.

There is a protective reef off shore in front of the beach park area that makes it decent wave wise for swimming most of the time but I can not speak for December as I have not been there in that time-frame.

Below is link and the third picture down is where I swim at near parking lot:

hawaiiweb.com/kauai/…anahola_beach.html

Edited: 01 November 2010, 22:31
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anahola beach

It can be pretty rough there in winter. I wouldn't risk December if snorkeling out the back door is key. Head south. Much better odds of safe surf.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anahola beach

I recall someone posting about multiple break-ins at rental homes in the Anahola area earlier this year. Do a search for "Anahola Burglary" and it should come up. Maybe someone local will know if they ever caught the suspects.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anahola beach

Glad to see they now have a lifeguard station set up there.....Hmmmmm I may be dropping by in a few weeks.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anahola beach

Anahola is definitely divided into two sections as hg described. There’s some gorgeous homes on both sections, however, the section with the most protected swimming/snorkeling fronts Anahola Beach Park. Directly behind the park are the homes – so they are not oceanfront, but would have some killer views. Anahola is Hawaiian Homelands and the Beach Park is very much a locals beach, usually deserted on the weekdays, but filled with tents and family parties on weekends and holidays, so I would assume if Kauai kids have Xmas break when you are planning to come, it could be quite noisy.

The section referred to as Aliomanu (separate Rd because of the stream) has many vacation rental homes on it (no camping or park), both oceanfront and the other side of the road, however, the ocean always seems rougher in this area, I’d think Dec would be very rough most of the time.

I’m not trying to discourage you from the area – Anahola (at the beach park) is one of my two favorite beaches on Kauai, but I would pin-point exactly where the house is and find out if Xmas break on Kauai coincides with your trip.

juju, we were just there last week and the week before (weekdays), nearly had it all to ourselves....I love Anahola!

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 02 November 2010, 01:02