We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

London, England
3 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental

My wife and I will be travelling to Kauai from England at the end of May 2006.

We are staying at the Aloha Beach Hotel for 6 nights. We wish to hire a car for 2 to 3 days.

Does anyone know what the daily rate is for hiring? and Can I wait until I get there or should I pre-book?

Also, are there any restaurants within walking distance of the ABH?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,609 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

Daily rates depend on the company. You should check all the majors, and do it soon. Things book up quickly. Keep checking rates until you go, though; you may find something better.

You should find out if you need an international driver's license to rent. I have no idea.

You might want to think about renting a car for the entire week. The daily price should be lower that way. There's a lot to see on Kaua'i that it's well worth having a car; there's no public transportation to speak of.

AFAIK, there are no restaurants within walking distance of ABH, if I'm thinking of the right place. (Aloha Beach Resort?)There are lots within easy driving distance, though.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

You'll probably need the car for your entire stay. Public transportation doesn't really exist on Kauai in the manner you're used to.

You should be able to get a small car for around $150 per week. I would make the reservation in advance. Look at Dollar, Thrifty and discounthawaiicarrentals dot com's.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Welcome Brisey56! You MIGHT be able to walk to the Wailua Marina Restaurant from the Aloha Beach Hotel. It's directly across the highway and up the road that goes to Smith's Tropical Paradise. Mind you the highway might be impossible to cross at dinner time, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Cars do get a little expensive over holiday weekends, if your stay includes our Memorial Day Weekend - May 26-28. But if you are renting a car on either side of those dates, you should be able to get a good rate.

Without renting a car for the entire 6 days, how will you get to your hotel and back to the airport? I don't know how much taxi fare is, but it might be cheaper just to rent the car for your entire stay on Kauai.

London, England
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

Thanks for all your replies so far. I have an International Drivers licence so no problem there. We also have transfers arranged and paid for between the Airport and Hotel.

I will take your advice and monitor the rates and also think about having a car for the 5 full days we are there. I don't think it is so easy to book in advance and get cheap rates from the UK, but I will investigate, obviously we will be there over Memorial Weekend (also my 50th) so it might be be safest to pay extra and book ahead.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

Brisey56,

As an international visitor you should be aware of all the insurance issues when hiring cars in the US. Try allstatescarhire among others for an all inclusive rate. They are UK based but broker contracts for Alamo, Dollar etc.

We've used them successfully travelling to the mainland USA and the Big Island.

outtrimau@yahoo.com