We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant with show near Kaapa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,314 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant with show near Kaapa

We will be arriving in Kapaa 22 Feb and will have a birthday to celebrate. Would like very nice food with a show if possible. We are more into gourmet type food than big steaks or large meals. Any suggestions?

I have looked at the restaurant reviews but wondered re the show as well, which others in the party seem to want.

California
Level Contributor
36,666 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

How about a luau? Smith's would be my choice. Certainly not gourmet but would be a fun night. Or how about a nice dinner at Hukilau Lanai followed by the show at Smith's only. I can't think of any dinner shows except South Pacific at Kauai Beach Resort, but not sure if that's just a show, no dinner.

The more upscale gourmet restaurants are in Poipu. Roys, Merriman's etc. Of course the daddy of them all is in Princeville at the St Regis, Kauai Grill.

You find more dinner/show places on Maui and Oahu.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

The Aloha Beach Resort near Kapaa has two Dinner shows:

Polynesian Dinner Show - Ali'i Lani

Dinner Theater - The Complete History of America: Abridged (The cast is taking a brief hiatus and there will be no shows until January 23, 2012).

I have not been to either but maybe you can find some reviews.

The following link has info on both:

astonhotels.com/resort/…Entertainment

California
Level Contributor
36,666 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

I doubt Aloha Beach Hotel has gourmet food. I doubt it a lot!

If you want to travel to Princeville there's dinner show there.

stregisprinceville.com/dining/mailani-dinner…

I have heard positive things about it.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

South Pacific is a "Live Dinner Show". Buffet selections look pretty run-of-the-mill, but I have not personally tried it.

southpacifickauai.com/south_pacific/home.html

There's really not a lot of "gourmet" restaurants on Kauai, the island is just so laid back in style, most places close up by 10:00pm - the St Regis should be top-notch though.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
36,666 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

Thanks for the clarity of the SP show and including dinner.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,314 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

Thanks guys, certainly some ideas, and i just learned that Kauai is where South Pacific was filmed. Didn't know that before.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,706 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

The food at Aloha Beach is pretty mediocre. Better to do a nice dinner at Hukulau and the show-only deal at Smith's.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,314 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

What's this one like, food and show if possible. Reviews so far tend to be positive

luaukalamaku.com

California
Level Contributor
36,666 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

It is supposed to be very good. More theatrical I have heard. Mezzsop has been. Luau food is luau food! Just don't have high expecations for a gourmet meal. As a matter of fact don't expect super gourmet meals anywhere on the island. There are just a few places and in Kapaa there is none. Hukilau Lanai comes about as close to a really good meal as anything.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,969 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant with show near Kaapa

Gourmet food and shows don't go together. People go to gourmet food restaurants go for the food, people who go to dinner shows, go for the show.

The reviews, at least the ones I looked at on TA, are almost all from tourists so I am not sure how good a judge they are of Hawaiian food.

If there is a special occasion instead of overpaying for average food, I'd just go to a nice restaurant like Duke's in Lihue or the Beach House in Poipu and just enjoy the evening.

If I did a luau on Kauai it would be the Smith Family Luau.