We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi or shuttle lihue airport

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
taxi or shuttle lihue airport

4 ladies staying at courtyard marriot kauai coconut beach. hoping not to rent a car, can we get a taxi or shuttle to the hotel arriving at 230pm. if so, approx how much. also, are their tour companies, that we may take a tour of the island. also, can we walk to resturants. 1st time visitors, senior ladies.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

How many days will you be on Kauai? You really need to rent a car. Courtyard Marriott does not have an airport shuttle. Taxis on Kauai are horribly expensive. I think the few restaurants nearby are close to a mile away.

3Chihuahuas

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

On the main Kauai forum page, look at the top right corner of Top Questions and click on Should I rent a car? That will tell you everything you need to know about why you should rent one. In a nutshell, Kauai is very small and fairly easy to navigate, but the attractions are spread out enough that you can't get to them very easily without your own car, and you'll easily spend more on taxis than you would renting a car.

Roberts Hawaii offers island tours: http://www.robertshawaii.com/kauai.php

Do you have a Kauai guidebook? Pick up a copy of The Ultimate Kauai Guide: Kauai Revealed by Doughty - the maps are great.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

To answer your question regarding taxis, yes, there are taxi cabs right outside the Lihue airport terminal, which you could hire with your lady friends and which would take you to your hotel. I have no idea how much it costs, but assuming it costs $50 (I am just throwing this out there), it is still only $12.50 a head. No biggie.

Yes, in a perfect World, renting a car is "better," but this is ultimately your call. If you end up not renting a car and doing some of those tours, just steer clear from those Greyhound size buses. See if you could get onto smaller, mini-van size group tours. I cannot think of anything less appealing than being cooked-up on a 50 people bus while visiting Kauai.

Edited: 26 February 2012, 01:01
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,067 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

Rent a car; you won't regret it. The tours can't take you to some of the must-see places because of the size of their vehicles. Walking to restaurants from the Courtyard is doable, but is a bit of a walk. I wouldn't want to do it in the rain.

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
289 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

If you do not feel like driving it sure can be done without renting a car. Realize that it will be expensive but there are tours for hire which take you to various sites on the island. My Mom and her husband did this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed not having to drive up the canyon to see the views. Restaurants are different. There are a few within walking distance so if you are ok with visiting them more than once have at it. Do what you and your friends are most comfortable with. Have a great time.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

Thank you for your insight. We will be there for 5 days and other than perhaps a tour we were thinking of just staying at the hotel but I will think twice about renting a car. but with the rental fee and the $14.00 day parking fee at the hotel, I'm thinking it might be too much, but I shall present it to the ladies.

thanks so much for all your help

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

It would be such a shame to come so far and with your first trip, not see what I think is the most beautiful place on Earth. Honestly, Kauai is just not the island to sit around at a hotel. Are you locked into the Courtyard Marriott? I think there would be much better options, even with 4 of you.

When are you coming? Car rental can be as low as $200.00 total, for 5 days.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 26 February 2012, 02:47
California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

Trust me you will want to see more than that hotel. Aren't they still in remodel stage? They had their pool and other things closed down for a long time. All you can do is walk over the Coconut Marketplace through the side parking lot. Other than that, this hotel is kind of off my itself.

Another thing to consider. 4 people = alot of luggage. You might need to rent a shuttle van vs a taxi. With 4 people that isn't expensive, but then you have to get back and forth to the airport and rely on a van each time. That would be as much as renting car!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

If you were staying at a true resort that gives one little reason for some to even want to leave the grounds I'd say fine (such as the Marriott Kauai Resort ). Reality is that the Marriott Courtyard doesn't fit the bill in my opinion.

You say you're senior ladies so your idea of walking distance might be different than others here. I suspect you may find the Courtyard to not have a very good selection within your terms of walking distance. Four ladies travelling together can mean differences in opinion of what is considered walking distance.

Trust me, with the 4 of you splitting the cost of a car for only 5 days you're going to incur more expenses with taxi cabs and big bus tours. I see you haven't been to Kauai before so you probably don't realize it's not the best island for tourists attempting to use public transportation and cabs.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
619 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi or shuttle lihue airport

Driving in Kauai will be some of the easiest driving you will ever do, some of the most considerate drivers I ever met were in Kauai. No big freeway traffic and everyone just goes along at a nice easy pace, it would be such a shame to go to Kauai and just stay at the hotel.