We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

I have sent many inquiries out and have narrowed it down to 3 units, based on value/bed configurations, not necessarily the best view. With that being said I am avoiding Building D Mountain view all together. We are a family of 5, with kids.

So if anyone can give me their opinion based on their knowledge of the resort it would help make my decision easier. I have 3 options:

First is Building A 3rd floor, no view mostly building and some garden view, north/east facing closest to the beach and furthest from Hwy, no street noise, best price.

Second option is building E 2nd floor, facing parking, garden/mountain view, closer to hwy, so so view ,south/west facing, so lots of sun,second best price just slightly higher then first option, great unit, but my biggest concern is road noise.

Last option, Building F 2nd floor, nicest view of all three, garden view, south/west facing. Owner says there is no street noise as it's set back a bit more then Buidling E. But not sure if you can still here hwy. $500 more then first option.

Don't want to hear the hum of traffic everytime I step out on my lanai, but I don't really fancy looking at building view, we appreciate sunight.It will be a 8 night trip and we do sit on our lanai a lot. Advise anyone?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

Do any of the units have reviews written on them? Sometimes if you just put Waipoule E -VVV (can't use X's for numbers anymore!) you'll find a specific review.

What time of year are you going? You might be grateful for a north facing view in the depth of summer when the sun is strong.

and it's Kapaa rather than kaapa. typos in hawaiian don't always get corrected in search engines.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 06:38
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

It's the last 2 weeks of March. so this is why I though south/west would give us more sun. I have read reviews that exist but there are very few, particularly my concern for hwy noise and views.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

sorry. just don't know enough about the specific units to offer that sort of advice.

Interior units will likely have pool noise in the day time but nice views of the ocean. I'd certainly avoid D and E if you are sensitive to road noice. And probably C as they are pretty close to the road. But sound travels pretty far and none of that resort is all that far from the road. Luckily in March, the ocean likely will be providing a lot of white noise.

My gut feel is A will have the least noise from the road

California
Level Contributor
35,289 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

March of next year? Consider Poipu vs Kapaa. If you like the look of WBR look at Koloa Landing.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

Yes, last 2 weeks of March 2014. We are spending our first week in Poipu, then our second week at Waipouli resort. I love Koloa Landing, however it is so expensive,$400 + with all fees. Being in Kapaa we will be a bit closer to the north to explore and the kids will love the pool at the resort.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

A will have the least road noise, but E was not bad at all from the ground floor. You will hear the occasional siren from the fire department that it faces. We were in E105 and Id go back without issue. The second floor may catch ore sound from the road, but it is not what I'd call a highway no matter how it is marked. The green belt etc were great for us and our kids. I also loved NOT facing the pool area. Some of the buildings facing in, especially G, were WAYYYY to close to the pool deck to be quiet. Put it into wikimapia.com or google earth to see the actual layouts.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

We are thinking to go with one of the F:units, however the lady wants a deposit of $720 with 3 installments prior to arrival, all non-refundable.

Most units will refund up to a certain date, so I'm not comfortable booking with that policy. She also charges extra if she deems that you have done to much laundry, very micro managed. I guess I have not come across non-refundable accommodations before and I have researched hundreds of units on VRBO and booked many. Unfortunately the unit I most like has a policy that I don't like.

Can someone tell me if the pool's temperature is comfortable, some write ups say it is not heated and very cold, but then owners say it is heated and no one has complained. My kids love the pool but not if it's freezing.

California
Level Contributor
35,289 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

If you want to be closer to the North Shore, you should consider the North Shore.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

March can really vary on weather and therefore pool temps. Ours was 75 F two weeks ago, then nearly 90 and back down to 84 or so in just a 10 day stretch.

I believe WBR uses water circulation in the deck slabs to heat their pool but you might want to check on that. It will be warmed in sunny weather obviously. People really have different ideas as to what is "warm". My spouse want's 90F. My canadian neighbors think 75 is just fine. Call and ask the management. They should know the pool's temp.

North shore in March? Not worth the risk IMO. People that own up there feel differently.

California
Level Contributor
35,289 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waipouli Resort( in Kaapa) Units, which should I pick?

In March it can be just as rainy as Kapaa. The OP said they wanted to be closer to the North Shore thus my response, Dave! Since you live on the east side, maybe you are partial to that area. Not me!