We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying clothes in Kapaa

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Buying clothes in Kapaa

I am traveling to Kapaa in about a month. I hate lugging suitcases and prefer to buy a few clothes inexpensively when I arrive. I then leave the clothes behind. So I'm looking for either a very inexpensive place for new cheap clothes or, ideally, a used clothing store like Savers or Goodwill. Any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
36,089 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

Probably one of the least expensive places for ok clothing is Walmart. Its not in Kapaa but it is near the airport and you could shop first. Kmart is another option. Yes there are resale shops like The Humane Society and Goodwill in Lihue.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

Thanks. I'll check out The Humane Society and Goodwill. This is just what I was looking for.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

The humane society??? Is that a clothing store or an animal shelter?

I've never heard of a humane society that sells clothes, but I'm used to the term "humane society" always referring to animals.

California
Level Contributor
36,089 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

They run a very nice thrift shop.

http://kauaihumane.org/donate/thriftstore

Edited: 10 July 2013, 15:51
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

Thanks. I'll surely check them out when I arrive on Monday, August 12th. I'm staying at the Outrigger and they are not too far away.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
669 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

In Kapaa there are most certainly clothing stores, but..... they are more touristy than normal clothing stores.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I can't think of one store in Kapa'a that sells clothing that would be considered "inexpensive" by most people.

The Kaua'i Humane Society Thrift Store in Lihu'e has great clothing (they tend to get very upscale type items many times) for very little......it is the place most of my friends donate clothing to, as do I.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

Wow I'm always looking for sundresses and this sounds like a great place to look and help the Humane Society! Mahalo

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,622 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

Padden, many such organizations have thrift shops. People donating to the thrift shop and the items are sold to raise money for the organization. All kinds of non-profit organizations do this. It's how they raise money to keep going. You seem so surprised by this??

Edited: 10 July 2013, 21:16
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying clothes in Kapaa

The thrift store in Lihu`e is Salvation Army, not GoodWill. There's no GoodWill store here. The Humane Society thrift store is a good one. There's also the hospital thrift shop which is back behind the hospital in Lihu`e. In Kapa`a there's Ho`omana Thrift on Kuamo`o Road and Whatever opposite Pono Kai. There's also a consignment store just up the street from Safeway and on the same side, but it will be more expensive. If you get up to Kilauea there's a church thrift in the building opposite the gas station which has nice things.