We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

We're interested in renting Unit B at Moana Kai Beach Houses but we've been seeing references online to Unit A and it's described as a hotel with a restaurant, concierge, etc...when we look at the property, it appears to be three individual residential homes, not hotel-looking at all. I read somewhere that Unit A has been vacant for several years and yet there's advertising on lots of websites ( cannot see dates last updated ) Can anyone clear this up for me? I don't want to rent a private home next to what could be a hotel. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
35,591 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

I know B. I've been inside. I do know A has been for sale forever. B is nice, but personally I don't like the area. It is not a hotel that's for sure. Its 3 units in one building and you share a teeny tiny pool. It is VERY close to a sometimes smelly river that goes into the ocean. On the weekends this beach is busy with locals and its a popular windsurfing location. (ie noise)

Show me where unit A is listed as a hotel. Give me the link please.

B is nice inside. Again I do not like the area, but that could just be me.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

jebett is right. There is no hotel there. These are more like stand alone vacation rentals in a residential area. of Kapaa. We have stayed at the "A" condo, but it's been at least 10 years ago. I do remember the tiny (and very cold) pool. But the condo itself was spacious and nicely appointed. We were next door to the river where fisherman launch their boats early in the morning. There was some noise, but it didn't really bother us. The surf is pretty rough right there, but the view is excellent. We like to stay on the east side occasionally. I would say, though, for the money, I'd probably pick a condo at the Waipouli Beach Resort.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

thanks Jebett and Kimocat....here's a few of the many links

jetcost.com/hotels-kapaa/moana-kai-beach-hou…

hotelreservations.com/propdetail.aspx…

hotelscombined.ca/Hotel/Moana_Kai_Beach_Hous…

http://www.onetravelsource.com/243701.html

topdealshotel.com/hotels-kapaa/hotel-moana-k…

California
Level Contributor
35,591 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

Wow! Is that ever wrong.... See this is why travelers need to beware when they go on these off the wall sites. It is not a hotel, there is not a restaurant even remotely close by, maybe the owner will babysit for you, and the entire write up is so off base. It actually looks like a big house or townhouse. You park under a car port so there's covered parking. I would NEVER leave my windows or doors open in this neighborhood while away. You can see the interior of B on Aloha Condos website. Its very pretty, was remodeled when Jim Dornfeld the owner bought it about 6 years ago, but let me ask you why would choose this location? When are you coming to Kauai? I must admit if I were going to rent a house in Kapaa this one would be it, but I wouldn't rent a house in Kapaa.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

We're coming in February next year. We had our hearts set on Anini but couldn't find anything for that time period. I've since heard from the management that the former owner of Unit A was involved in defrauding guests and that it was a long time ago. You'll notice these websites aren't really active, if you put in a date for booking, it says unavailable and only one site has pictures. We have looked on Google Earth and noticed the neighbourhood appears to be a mix of older, but well-kept homes and didn't notice anything that really turned us off, except maybe the park and parking lot next door...we figured it would be relatively quiet there in February. We chose this location for its closeness to everything, plus not being able to get what we wanted at Anini or other areas...the idea of a small pool, hot tub plus beach access is very appealing. As much as I love isolated locations, not sure I want to spend two weeks being isolated and with high surf. Could you tell me why you wouldn't rent a house in Kapaa, Jebett?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

Jebett just doesn't really like Kapa`a. We always stayed there when we used to visit, but down at the other end at Kapa`a Sands. You might look into Kaua`i Coast Resort (Beachboy). Still within walking distance to some restaurants, although a pretty good hike into Kapa`a town. Even Waipouli Beach Resort is a ways from town.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

thanks pzp...I'll check out the places you recommended...how nice that you live there now!! we're on an island too and the winters are better than most in Canada but still can get down to freezing....will be so nice to get to Kauai for a few weeks when the cold weather is here

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

I stayed in Unit B in April of 2012 and loved it. I liked the location and the house it's self. We could walk up the coast path to Bubbas for lunch or shopping in Kapaa, down the the road to Big Save and even walked back from Kauai Pasta. The pool was nice and Unit B has its own hot tub. While we were there Unit A was being worked on. It was being re roofed and it looked like they were putting new exterior doors. I personally would stay in Unit B over A. I think it is bigger, with a nicer entry and a better view. The people who live in Unit C never used the pool and we only saw them a couple of times with coming and going. The house was well stocked and the owner seemed to be very attentive. I would contact the owner about what is up with Unit A and the pool situation. When we were there Kapaa was putting in new water lines and the owner went out of his way to advise people of how the work would impact our stay (It didn't). I do have to admit I enjoy staying on the Eastside, I like the central location, the vibe and am more than happy to drive to a swim-able beach (my niece and nephew enjoyed "baby beach" which was a few yards from the house).

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

thanks for your post, kgwoozleIt's always tough to book accommodations from so far away. We've always been pleased with what we've booked on previous vacations and have our fingers crossed that Moana Kai will also be a good experience. Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it there, which is really good to hear! The manager says that Unit A is privately owned, not rented out, other posters have said it's vacant. Either way, it sounds like the "hotel" is history. What did you mean about the "pool situation", is something happening with that? It will be interesting to experience the east side, I've always preferred to see the sunsets, part of the reason we wanted the north shore.

California
Level Contributor
35,591 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moana Kai Beach Houses OR Moana Kai Beach House Hotel Kapaa

Just remember this is not a house and never was a hotel. Doesn't Aloha Condos have a video of it? It is 3 condos together.

And the "jebett doesn't really doesn't like Kapaa" isn't necessarily true. It is 3rd on my list of places to stay on the island. I am a property owner in Kapaa. I have family in Kapaa. I just prefer not to vacation in the middle of a strip mall or traffic jam. I prefer to see mountains vs a used car parking lot. IF I were to stay in Kapaa (which I do often when circumstances call for it) and wanted something new and larger than a condo, I MIGHT consider unit B. I just am not thrilled with the location and find parts of that street "seedy". You can take that for what its worth. I have been inside, walked the property, know the history of the owners and I do know the owner of unit B is a very upfront guy and good to work with.