We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to watch the Superbowl

rantoul
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Place to watch the Superbowl

Where's a good place to watch the Superbowl? DH and I are mid-late 50's, DH doesn't drink, looking for a non-rowdy place where we can get a snack and watch without people falling over drunk (which is what we saw at Trees a few years ago). Would prefer to stay in the Kapaa area.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

Olympic Cafe would be my choice, but I have no idea just how crowded it may be (with or without drunks).

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
36,408 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

Oasis restaurant has a tv in the bar. Its a small place so doubt it will get too rowdy. Another location is Olympic Cafe in Kapaa.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,603 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

Other possibilities: Big Wave Dave's, and Kapa`a Cafe. Not sure what the TV situation is in either one.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I think you will be lucky to find a place to watch it that isn't "rowdy".....in my experience, screaming and shouting and drinking is a part and parcel of the Super Bowl experience....unless you watch it at home!

Truly though, I don't know of anyplace that has been mentioned, in addition to Kalapaki Joe's locations (Kalapaki, Po'ipu and Waimea) that won't be loud and have lots of drinking going on.

One reason I go to the beach on that day....to get away from all of that! But of course, I hate football, so I just want to be away from it in general! lol

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,603 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

We always used to go skiing on Superbowl weekend. Lovely, uncrowded slopes. Best use for football ever.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yep! Same thing for beaches here as well! However the larger parks with pavilions will have big super bowl parties going on....so stay to beaches with no pavilions....I like to go to Gillin's Beach at Maha'ulepu on that day personally.....deserted indeed!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

<<We always used to go skiing on Superbowl weekend.>>

We clean out our garage on Superbowl Sunday. The looks we get from the neighbors is priceless!

Honestly, most places that will have a TV may get pretty rowdy. Olympic Café can get rowdy on a regular afternoon. Oasis might be a good choice (though I have not been there yet).

rantoul
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

Mahalo, everyone! Good to hear all opinions.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

this post is for NFL fans who want to get into the cheering and overall Super Bowl experience, and then some suggestions for the OP, as well." Place to Watch the Superbowl" is a great thread to help out all different types of fans.

I guess rowdy is subjective to different people. The super bowl is the NFL Championship, the fans at the sports bars will actually be cheering, the volume on the TV's will be up so we can hear it. Customers will be wearing football jerseys.

We watch the NFL at Kalapaki Joes, Robs, and the Olympic Cafe and have been doing just that for seven football seasons now, and never saw anyone falling down dunk. Kalapaki Joes has a happy mix of tourists and residents, and families. People are eating, drinking, watching the game, and cheering and some just talking story. They have several TV's, staff in football jerseys and a festive atmosphere.

We were just at Robs this weekend for the Saints Wild Card game and have been fhere for several different NFL games, and I mean actually there, and never had a problem. Lots of TV's, This week we sat up at one of the two bars next to a 70 plus inch HDTV. They also have loads, and I mean wall to wall TV's, good food, service and drinks. Mostly residents and some visitors.

The Olympic Cafe, a few weeks back we were up here with some TA friends and there was an NFL game on TV.....it was no big deal. We actually were more interested in our friendship table, and no one was going ballistic or causing any problems.

For our first few years here, Sunday was Erica's house cleaning day, and she would send me to Robs to watch the football games. I would leave Robs, and pick her up, and she would then join me for the second half of the second game back at Robs, and have lunch and a couple of after her hard work libations.Now, we have a house cleaning lady a couple times a month on weekdays, so we can split up watching the NFL games at home, or going out, our choice. Erica has become quite an NFL fan, and is doing a great job of really understanding the game, offense , defense, special teams, etc.

I cannot help those who wish a quiet atmosphere with exact names of places, since sitting quietly when I want to cheer during the super bowl not where I want to be. But, there are loads of restaurants that may have the super bowl on TV, no volume turned up, and are nice and peaceful. In fact they will be in the majority all over the island.

Add in the hotel lounges that will have one TV, and will probably be very peaceful and might work out perfectly. The resort hotels might be the best bet, the OP could check to see if they will have the game on.

The OP really should not have a problem finding the type of super bowl venue that they are looking for.

This post is to also let others know exactly what we have actually experienced as residents, so those who wish to be around an NFL Superbowl presentation with lots of TV's, cheering and fun will be able to make a choice and to help out those who want a less boisterious ambiance as well.

There will be perfect places to watch superbowl island wide that will suit everyones personal choice.

rantoul
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to watch the Superbowl

Where are Joe and Rob's located? Very interested in both of these...

Mahalo!!

Cheryl