We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Path/Bike Rentals

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
38 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Bike Path/Bike Rentals

Is the place behind the Ono Restaurant still the best bargain for renting bikes? Has the path expanded? We were there last year and biked it in the rain. Hope the sun is shining this year for our return trip in early April. We'll be staying at the Kauai Coast Resort. Can't wait, as it keeps snowing in Colorado!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

In answer to the question, has the path expanded..... If you were here before June of 2013 then, yes.

From Kauai Coast Resort / Coconut MarketPlace you can ride down the Papaloa Rd portion (likely already in when you were here last) and take new (June 2013 or so) portion across the Wailua Beach area and then take side road by Aloha Beach Hotel to get to Lydgate Park.

Possibly path section in front of Waipouli Beach Resort connecting to other northern section is new to you as I do not remember date that was completed.

There is a gap between Waipouli Beach Resort to Papaloa Road at Coconut MarketPlace.but planning underway with possible construction starting within a year.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/path-plans-fo…

California
Level Contributor
37,974 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

The place behind Ono still has the best bike deals to me, but there are many places that have popped up so just look when you arrive.

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
459 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

The bike rental place behind Ono is called "Hele on Kauai Bike Rental". I met with the owner after my arrival at Plantation Hale to confirm some things I had read on TA about her business. If I purchased a new cruiser bike at Walmart she would buy it back for half price when I was ready to leave the island. I was in the area for 5 weeks so got to ride on the bike path everyday and stopped by her shop once a week (by arrangement) to have WD40 applied to all the moving parts. She even attached a free bell on it for me on my first visit. I plan on doing this again on our next extended stay.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

We always stay at our timeshare, kapaa shores. I'm curious how they will run the path thru there. There isn't a lot of room between the ocean and the condos, and if they put the path there it would let people right onto the grounds. If they put it outside the condo it would be along the road. Anyone know?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

You are staying at one of our favorite places at the KCR......now, we have not stayed there, but eat dinner at the Hukilau Lanai quite often, and have remarked that how nice the property is, and the aloha attitude. We have also visited the rooms when we have had mainland friends stay up there.....nice !

Honeslty, I am continually impressed with the cleverness of the TA posters and their up to date knowledge.

We have not rented bikes in some time....but still hike the coastal path on foot.....but now that it has been extended, riding bikes along that path is going to be in our plans once again.

Thanks to all of you.....

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
38 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

Thanks to all of you for your prompt, updated replies. I'm looking forward to the new section of the path, as we were there last April, before it was completed. Love the idea of buying a bike and selling it back!

C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

We are on Kauai now and had breakfast at Ono this morning and then rented bikes at the place you speak of . $10/hour for 2 bikes (we did 1.5 hours , so $15) and rode the path. We only stopped once for around 10 minutes (to give you an idea of how long the trail is) . The lady at the rental place was super nice! Hope you have a great time!

Level Contributor
230 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

TRIXI -that is brilliant !

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

Bigislandfan: In regard to area of Kapaa Shores, the path has been completed.

The path runs along Kuhio Hwy from Waipouli Beach Resort and turns down Wana Rd at Kapaa Shores and then goes down Niulani Rd and then Moanakai Rd. Nuilani Rd and Moanakai are one-way roads for cars.

Thus, path does not go directly Oceanside of Kapaa Shores property.

Below is link to map of the streets mentioned above and the path shown as blue line.

http://tinyurl.com/orksu6l

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bike Path/Bike Rentals

We are staying at Wailua Bay View. Would we be able to walk to where the path starts and rent bikes close by or would driving there be our best bet? Hard for me to judge distance on a map.

Thanks,

Kris