We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Coast Resort - no swimming beach

Phoenix
1 post
Save Topic
Kauai Coast Resort - no swimming beach

We have reservations for 4 for a week in July 07 with Shell Vacation Club @ Kauai Coast Resort with an ocean view. SVC does not have a property with a swimming. I could book though SVC for RCI property with swim. beach, but with no guarantee of a ocean view room. I am told they assign the room at check in (my last experience with this was a room in the back of the property with no view). so I am reluctant to book this way.

The reviews indicate KCR is a lovely resort and the pool facilities are nice. Does anyone have any advice? Is there a swimming beach fairly close? Can you walk in the water at all? Or at this time of the year is a swimming beach a must?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy
Kauai Coast Resort at...
765 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Coast Resort - no swimming beach

i have gone swimming at the beach there many times. in july, you'll have a good shot of having calm enough water there to swim. the beach is sort of steep though, and not good for laying out. however, the resort is right up against the beach, so you can set a lounge chair right next to the beach and watch the waves roll in.

there are some swimmable beaches nearby, like lydgate. the great thing about being at that resort is that you're halfway between the north and south shores...also, the hukilau (the restaurant on the property at the kcr) is one of the best on the island. you're right behind the coconut marketplace which has some decent spots to eat and shop.

imo, the location is ideal, the resort is super clean, the grounds are spectacular, pool is awesome, rooms are good size and fully stocked w/ all the amenities - washer/dryer, blender, dishwasher, full kitchen....etc. (unless you get a studio, no kitchen, no washer/dryer)

enjoy.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Coast Resort - no swimming beach

Aloha Daisyness,

If you can get a room at the Kauai Coast Resort with an ocean view, I think you'd be happy. The beachfront there is useful for strolling and sitting, but I wouldn't swim right in front. You'll likely take off for day trips, stopping at safer swimming beaches anyway. For the location (walk to shops and restaurants) and the ambiance that Kauai Coast Resort offers, swimming in the lovely pool ought to take care of your swimming fix while you're on property. Then just drive to the many swimming beaches on Kauai for a good long swim on your daily outings. That's my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy
Kauai Coast Resort at...
765 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Coast Resort - no swimming beach

Most of the rooms here have an ocean view---even though it may just be a sliver of the ocean. The beach may not be swimmable, but it's a beautiful beach---with beautiful sun rises. A mall is right across the street from this resort. It convenient for heading north or south. It's close to Lydgate--great snorkeling area. The rooms are very nice---and air conditioned. The pool is heated and has a waterfall. The grounds are nice. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Prescott Valley...
Level Contributor
272 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Coast Resort - no swimming beach

I've stayed at KCR twice and like it very much (for the reasons stated above). I agree that July is a good time for calmer waves at the KCR beach, but it IS rocky in parts so be careful (& wear surf shoes). The steep beach slope means the waves can often break right on the sand... you don't want to get caught with your back turned if they are large waves.

Just look and be careful, and if waves seem too rough to swim or play in, try walking about 300 yards south to the beach in front of the Lae Nani condos. The beach has a shallower slope there (with rolling, not pounding waves) and a small sea wall of lava rock for a protected swim/play area for kids.

Go to google maps (Hybrid mode) of Kauai and you'll see a satelite photo that shows the beach area at Lae Nani isn't far from KCR, across Wailua bay from Lydgate park on the east coast. And there IS Lydgate Beach Park, about 5-7 mins. drive south of KCR across the Wailua river, with Two sea wall protected lagoons for swimming and snorkeling (the smaller lagoon is great for small kids). They also have showers, picnic areas and an excellent playground "fort" for kids.

Enjoy your trip to paradise, & ALOHA.

Mentioned in this post
Lae Nani
Lae Nani
278 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Lydgate Beach Park
Lydgate Beach Park
246 Reviews
Kauai, HI
5. Re: Kauai Coast Resort - no swimming beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 00:19