We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Common Grounds

Which Kilauea hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
35,289 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Common Grounds

I promised myself I would try this newly opened "restaurant" this trip if I could. Well I did today, and I was sure glad I made the turnoff.

Common Grounds is new spot to enjoy breakfast or lunch on the North Shore amid a beautiful setting. First of all the location is a bit off the beaten track. It used to be the old Guava Kai Plantation. There's a large sign on the highway and you drive to the end of the road. The parking lot was packed which is a good sign for this place. You walk up to a window and to the right are many tables. It is perfect for a large group because they have quite large tables. If you are in a hurry don't come here. I waited about 10 minutes in line and another 15 for my lunch. I walked around the beautiful grounds while waiting. It is so North Shore of Kauai. I can't explain it any other way. It is laid back, tropical, and all the ingredients are fresh and some organic. I had a steak sandwich, these absolutely yummy fries made out of purple sweet potatoes (they add fresh ginger and sea salt and I am telling you they were delish) plus a small salad and all that for under $10. They make a good fish taco according to the local lady I was talking to in line. There were many locals and visitors alike enjoying the day. I saw one table had brought their own bottle of wine.

I think this stop for lunch (and they are open for breakfast and I plan on trying it) is a new must do on the North Shore. Maybe try the mini golf and then lunch????

PS I had "dinner" at Tropical Dreams. Dan, the owner, says hi to all the nice people on TA and he WILL be moving to Kapaa soon.

Bay Area California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Common Grounds

Jebett,

When you say Dan will be moving to Kapaa soon I assume you mean Tropical Dreams are moving?

If so did he mention where in Kapaa?

California
Level Contributor
35,289 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Common Grounds

Yes Dan and his whole ice cream shop is moving. He got the rights to name the new place Tropical Dreams Kapaa.

It will be located in the same shopping center as Verde Mexican Restaurant.

FYI: Coldstones in the Safeway Shopping Center is now closed.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Common Grounds

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, now all you TA folks can enjoy Southwestern style food at Verde, along with French macarons from Wooden Spoon macarons and then go next door for ice cream - oh, and the "Hawaiian Blizzard" shave ice guy is usually there as well, right?

Quite the spot!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Bay Area California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Common Grounds

I'm glad for him as I'm sure this is going to be a better location. But I am sad for us north shore people - no more running out late at night to get our local ice cream fix.

Did he say anything about opening the store in San Francisco? I thought it was suppose to open up sometime soon. I'd love to have an excuse to go to the city!

California
Level Contributor
35,289 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Common Grounds

There is also a new shrimp truck next to Otsuka's Furniture ans across the street from the Kappa Faire. So we can have garlic shrimp before heading for Mexican food and dessert.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Common Grounds

That spot does have a really nice vibe to it. Haven't eaten there, but went to a really fantastic "circus" they held there as a fundraiser for Kauai Pacific School last month.

I did pick up a menu and thought it was fairly reasonable for a sandwich.

Here's some photos from the circus. I'd highly recommend it for people with kids who'll be here early December if they have it there again in 2011.

www.facebook.com/album.php…

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Common Grounds

Glad you tried and liked it jbett. We went in October and Mrs. S. had the fish sandwich with the fries. The fries are fantastic. Spoke to one of the staff and they said the folks who work there are always stealing a few to nibble on. Sounds like they are doing well and we are glad. Did Dan the 'ice cream" man say when the move was on for them? Is he closing the video store?

California
Level Contributor
35,289 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Common Grounds

The "tropical fries" are worth the stop alone. They are purple sweet potatoes with the best flavoring. I couldn't stop eating them. Their salad dressing was a little bland, but you could tell how fresh it was. It is such a pretty location. You almost feel like you are having lunch at someone's home..... Someone's beautiful home. pzp and I are trying it for breakfast this morning.

Dan is only going to have ice cream at the new store. He mentioned something about serving coffee but I don't remember if that is in the old location or Kapaa location. He said someone was interested in renting the present location. You know how he tells you so much information.

He is trying to move by the end of the month but doesn't think the Kapaa building will be ready. I saw some activitiy yesterday, but this is Kauai after all and things move slowly.

I wish I knew how to post pictures because I loved the gardens and took some photos. I also need to see if CG is under resaurants because I know how to post them there.

California
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Common Grounds

Glad you had a safe trip and are enjoying paradise, jebett. I love reading your descriptions of all the yummy food you're enjoying. Saved your post on Common Grounds and hope to try it this summer. Sorry to hear Dan is moving--just "discovered" Tropical Dreams last year.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Common Grounds

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"There is also a new shrimp truck next to Otsuka's Furniture ans across the street from the Kappa Faire. So we can have garlic shrimp before heading for Mexican food and dessert."

I'm glad someone finally mentioned this - it is called "Island Steak and Shrimp" actually and just opened about a month ago - it sits closeby the bike path and serves breakfast "wraps", smoothies, and a number of dishes for lunch and dinner as well. Lots of choices.

It is owned and operated by my best friend's son-in-law (Valera) - he is originally from Siberia, Russia and has worked as a cook around the island for a few years now at several well known restaurants. His food is excellent and his mother (also from Russia) makes the fresh fruit smoothies at the truck. They also do phone in orders to pick up.

I didn't want to do a thread on it since they are pretty much my ohana - but now that "Jebett" has broken the ice - I'll give it a big "try it" to anyone driving in that direction. Beautiful location and with the bike path right there, plenty of places to eat the food with an ocean view!

Malama Pono,

Janet