We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

Which Kilauea hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

I would like some advice on visiting Pearl Harbor for a day from Kauai. Cheapest way of getting there, how long to stay, do we have to rent a car once we get there?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

Fly to Honolulu early in the morning. Take the bus to Pearl Harbor. Take the bus back to the airport. Fly home.

Would I do that? No!

I'd would rent a car for a speedy trip to Pearl Harbor, and then I would use the rest of the day to explore this island, see the sites in Honolulu, and/or hang out on Waikiki. Then I would fly home late, getting the most bang for my buck.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

We (my whole family, 11 of us) are planning on flying to HNL, spending the night, getting up going to Pearl Harbor and flying the next day to Kauai. Years ago we did the day trip to the Big Island, that was before all the 911 stuff - I would not do that today, to much airport time waiting. Hubby and I may fly in earlier and visit with Ohana on the island first. Oahu is a great place, you need more than just Pearl Harbor I agree!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

Flights are around $75 each way. So $150 round trip each.

I agree with BLBL. Rent a car on Oahu & see part of the island after Pearl Harbor.

Or just save the $$ and plan a future visit to Hawaii. You'll basically have an extra day on Kauai & $$ in your pocket for a future trip. That's what I would do instead of a day trip.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

Why don't you do Oahu as the beginning or end of your trip instead of in the middle of Kauai. I'd fly into Oahu from the mainland, spend the night in Waikiki, see Pearl Harbor next morning, drive to the North Shore for sightseeing and fly to Kauai on one of the evening flights.

3Chihuahuas

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

if you stick "pearl harbor" in the search box from the Kauai forums page you'll get links to many old threads where people identify tour operators etc.

I'd check the date you have in mind and see what air fares look like. Flying over is your only real choice. It's 100 miles to Pearl from Kauai and there's no fast ferry or anything of that sort. If you get a crack of dawn flight you might still get $65 tix one way. But if the flight is already selling well you could pay much more. It's probably best to rent a car unless you just buy a packaged tour. Then you could sightsee other areas.

6. Re: Going to Pearl Harbor from Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 11:17