We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New shopping center planned for North Shore

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
New shopping center planned for North Shore

bizjournals.com/pacific/…

The Kauai Planning Commission has approved the Hunt Development Group's plans for a 46,800 square-foot grocery-anchored shopping center on six acres in the North Shore town of Kilauea.

The Garden Island reports the commission approved the Kilauea Lighthouse Village project — which would include a grocery store, hardware store, auto parts store, drugstore, health clinic, bank, restaurants and professional offices — after the developer, which is part of the Texas-based Hunt Cos. Inc., assured commissioners that traffic along Kilauea Road, which leads to the Kilauea Lighthouse, would be mitigated during construction.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
679 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

I hope this does not ruin the feel of Kilauea. I would hate for it to turn into a CAL strip mall.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

Its only 6 acres.

Just remember that there are very few services on the North Shore. Banks are in Kapaa or Princeville. There aren't many pharmacies or major grocery stores. Having a health clinic is a big bonus for folks living in this area. I had heard the ACE Hardware was moving to Kilauea anyway. Princeville rents were getting to high for them to keep that location.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

There is a health clinic in Kilauea but it is very limited. When we called, they said they had no health personell on site. The doctor's office opened at 2:00 and it already had an hour wait! If they can expand their services, that would be very nice for the folks on the north shore. I guess you don't think about this until it's needed.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,928 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

There are actually two health clinics in Kilauea - North Shore Clinic and Hale Lea Clinic, both on Oka Road. Hale Lea takes walk-ins, but at different times each day. Some days early morning, some afternoons. There is a doctor there, but he's not always available. Frankly, I've found all their "lesser" medical personnel to be quite knowledgeable. I've been using the clinic for 4+ years.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

We tried both places. It was lunch time so that may explain why no one was available.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

Assuming the architecture is in harmony with the Kilauea scene, this seems to be a welcome addition. Seems like a lot of stuff in 46.8K square feet.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

I'd imagine those who live in the Kilauea area get tired of having to head to Kapaa for everything and will probably welcome this. Just to keep a local's perspective in mind.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

Napa - I think there is a predominant local perspective of no. Businesses are already struggling to survive. Traffic is a major factor, too. It is already a congested area. Mixed feelings, as always. A walkable town would be nice but the cost may be loss. I guess we'll find out.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Does anyone here on TA live in Kilauea?

Since I don't live on that part of the island, I don't think it is fair to weigh in on my feelings about it - because maybe they feel the need for it?

I'd hate to see the small town feel of Kilauea ruined as well - but don't live there, so.....

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New shopping center planned for North Shore

Ace is moving to this shopping center (assuming it gets built -- many a slip as the Koloa project folk found out). The owner has a long string of complaints about his current landlord though suddenly they've gotten more attentive. LOL.

There is someone against anything and everything. Many folk in Kilauea area want more services. Others whine that there will be more traffic though driving back and forth to Kapaa for things buggering up the roads in my area is ok I guess.

It's not a huge center and looks to be being built around the existing old Plantation era buildings already there. If the businesses up there are struggling then it won't make any difference to have more traffic in from Princeville for the hardware store and perhaps a more competitive grocery? Yeah. right.

This is getting way off travel related though.