We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano viewing question

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Topic
Volcano viewing question

Hello everyone!

I'm traveling to Hawaii for vacation and would like to see Kilauea by air. The have reservations for 3 nights in Honolulu and then 8 nights in Maui. I'm debating two options to see Kilauea (on the Big Island):

1. On the day of travel from Honolulu to Maui, flying early morning from Honolulu to Hilo, taking a helicopter tour of Kilaueu mid-day and then flying to Maui at night from Hilo.

2. Flying directly from Honolulu to Maui, and during the 8 days on Maui picking a day to take the Volcano Air Tours fixed wing plane from Maui which circles around Kilaueu and lands back on Maui.

Do you have any recommendations as to which option sounds better? Cost is about the same for both. I feel like the highlight of the trip is getting a good view of the volcano, so I think the Helicopter is the better option for that. But the helicopter option takes much for time out of the trip, and I chance taking a whole day out of my trip (and possibly wasting money) if the weather doesn't cooperate. Is it worth the extra time and uncertainty to take the helicopter ride vs. the fixed wing plane?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcano viewing question

Sorry, Matt, but this is the wrong Kilauea - you want the BI not Kauai.

Have a great trip!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,082 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcano viewing question

Loved this tune as the helicopter wast raking off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcano viewing question

I think one thing you need to take in to consideration is that if you are hoping to see live lava flow - that isn't always predictable. As long as you are okay with that, I would coordinate as you leave from Oahu to Maui - then you get all the travel overwith in one day. OR you could just save the Big Island for your next Hawaiian vacation - it is a fabulous island! :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcano viewing question

thank you!

Edited: 24 May 2013, 18:12
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcano viewing question

We spent a week in Kona last year. We took a fixed wing flight from Kona which circled BI. We flew over lava and could see evidence, but could se helicopters below us a lot closer.

Think you would be better to get to Hilo and take helicopter ride

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcano viewing question

Aloha from Kaua'i!

While some folks have given you ideas....you really should post this on the correct forum, which would be "Hawaii", and not "Kaua'i"......you'll get many more responses over there.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Volcano viewing question

Matt, I think you have the Kilauea's confused. This forum is for the town of Kilauea on Kauai. You want info on the volcano Kilauea which is on the island called Hawaii (the real name for the Big Island). So you should ask the question on the Hawaii island forum. I suppose you saw Kilauea and presumed it was for the volcano.

8. Re: Volcano viewing question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 17:15