We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

Portland, Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Kauai for a week in July of 2008. We plan on traveling the island and exploring, but we just aren't sure where the best place to stay is. I would prefer to stay somewhere right on the beach. Any suggestions as to what area of the island would be best? Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

aloha! If I were going in July, I would stay on the lovely north shore . . . Haena, Hanalei or Annini would be good spots where you could have beach access. check out www.vrbo.com or www.kauaivacationresorts.com/north for a very wide variety of places to stay. Good luck - can't think of a more beautiful place to honeymoon! :)

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

Congratulations on the upcoming weding!

I'd agree. If I was going in July the north shore would be my choice.

There are several cottages/houses along Anini Beach where you would be right on the beach or at least right across from the beach. In Princeville, many of the condos have ocean views, but they are up on the bluff, so you would have to hike down to the beaches. You might also find houses or cottages in Hanalei or Haena very close to the beach, but they will probably be more $$$. Try vrbo.com to rent directly from individual owners in any of these areas.

Portland, Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

Thanks for the info. We were actually looking at places in Kappa, Lihue and Poipu. Now we will probably reevaluate our choices. I was just hung up on having a beach, though it is not like there is a shortage of beaches on Kauai. Any suggests for activities and restaurants? We are trying to keep our budget in check planning this trip, but it is very difficult with all the options and activities. Anyway, thanks.

California
Level Contributor
36,994 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

Congratulations first of all.

The great thing about spending time on Kauai is the many activities you can do that don't cost an arm and a leg. There is hiking, snorkeling, seeing the lighthouse, being lazy on the beach.

The north shore is wonderful in July. The waters are calm and it is a very romantic and scenic. You certainly don't need to spend a lot of moeny either to stay on Kauai. You have tons of great options. Cottages, condos, hotels. The hotels are mostly on the east shore, but very reasonable condos can be found in Princeville on the north shore. At Hanalei Bay Resort you can rent a privately owned unit for as low as $120/nite. This is called the "hotel room" which are the second 1/2 of someones 2 bedroom. Good sites to view these units as well as others at Pali Ke Kua, Sealodge, Cliffs etc is VRBO and summitpacific's website.

You won't lack for places to eat on the island. You can go high end and eat at Roys or Beach House or The Princeville Hotel, medium priced places like Dukes are wonderful, or eat at small little places on Rice Street where the locals go. On the east shore there are many places to eat (even Burger King) but the fun places are the small local establishments which are reasonable. Hanalei Town has many places to dine as well. From $$$ to slices of pizza. I also like to buy fresh fish at Dolphin Fish Market and grill it at HBR. You can shop at the Foodland in Princeville and pick up picnic supplies and have a great day at the beach at Anini watching the wind surfers.

Kauai is a wonderful, laid back place to spend your honeymoon. I hope you consider it.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

One of the great things about renting a condo or a house/cottage is that you have your own kitchen to prepare many of your meals. Then you can afford to splurge for a nice restaurant meal or two. We also were able to prepare picnic lunches to take with us to the beach. If your condo/house doesn't have an ice chest, pick up one of the inexpensive collapsible ones at Wal-Mart.

And personally, I can't think of anything more romantic than taking a picnic dinner and a bottle of wine down to the beach and eat dinner while you watch the sunset - and it won't cost you much either.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

Condo on the North Shore in July...with a killer view...nice amenities...and walking a short distance to the beach, and toss in a great pool, and friendly people, and fun lounge, and just an over all fantastic experience.

Hmmmm....Hanalei Bay Resort...might be ideal.

Denny

7. Re: Best area to honeymoon in Kauai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 08:16