We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

Any advice on which building at the Marriott Waiohai Resort in Kauai that would be best for my husband who uses a wheelchair or cane for anything more than a few steps. We are also traveling with my mother who is a very fit 85 but can tire on long treks.

I also need advice if possible for elder care while at this resort. This caregiver needs a break away from constant caregiving. Any ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

<<Any advice on which building at the Marriott Waiohai Resort in Kauai that would be best for my husband who uses a wheelchair or cane for anything more than a few steps>>

Why not call and request a handicapped room? I am sure they would accomodate you. At the same time I would ask if they have caregivers or how to go about locating one for you.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,376 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

I would think that if you explained the situation to the resort they could make recommendations and place you in the best location.

Lots of variables. Would it be easier for you to be nearest the pool area? Or closer to the parking lots? I would call and ask them and put in a special request. It's a fairly new resort so it must meet all ADA requirements but I'm sure you will still have your own special needs that they would try and accommodate you with.

As far as elder care.....I know the major resorts will usually provide a listing of local sitters for children. I would think they would also have people on their lists who could handle adults with needs. If nothing else, the hotel would probably know where to send you. But I'd get a head start on it.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Honestly I don't know of any firm or individual that does elder care at hotel properties - there are some private caregivers on island for elders, but they are kind of few and far between. Most are based in Lihu'e - not here on the South Shore.

I've been in this very situation since I caregive for my 90 year old mother here at my home in Koloa- I've looked into respite caregivers for elders and we just don't have a lot - my suggestion would be to call the property well ahead of time and ask the concierge (I'd recommened Linda Viado) about this --I'm sure she would do her best to see if there is anyone in this area who would come to the hotel.

I wish you luck - caregiving for an elder is so very stressful that I fully understand your need for a break from it - I hope that you find someone and that your mother is able to enjoy her trip here to Kaua'i - as well as you!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

Call the resort. If they cannot accomodate you, ask about other facilities that may be able to.

Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

Hi,

You said your mother was pretty fit. Are you just looking for someone to be a companion for her while you take a break? If there aren't medical needs involved, I wonder why you couldn't use the babysitting services that the hotel recommends? I would guess that a pleasant 85 year old would be a very nice change from chasing much younger and more active kids around. My mom is coming with us in September and is also mobility challenged...she said as long as she can get a seat by the pool and a mai tai in her hand, it's all good.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

You may want to try one of these -

http://www.happykidskauai.com/

Chamber of Commerce: (808) 245-7363

Poipu, Kaua
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

There are two agencies on Kauai which can provide professional caregiving support -- personal assistants, nurses, etc. If you ask for a PA rather than a nurse, it's easier for the agencies because they don't need to work up a new care plan as they would for a nurse.

The two agencies are Nursefinders (808-245-5841) and Mastercare (808-246-9116). I've worked with both agencies in the past as they have provided nurses for my daughter. I'm not sure who to speak to at Nursefinders, but if you ask for Christina at Mastercare she should be able to help you.

I hope this helps!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
903 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

The handicap rooms at the Waiohai are well designed for wheelchair-bound guests. The showers are roll-in, with shower seats, the doorways are large without threshholds, the counters and sinks are at wheelchair accessible levels. I'm not sure about Waiohai specifically, but if the unit is on the ground floor it would have easy access from lanai or front door. There is even a (don't know the specific name) "chair lift" at the pool to enable disabled guests to enter.

Have a great time!

California
Level Contributor
38,017 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

This is very helpful information but I am assuming the OP has already completed her stay as she wrote this last year.

Maybe this can assist another disabled traveler though so thank you for the information about elder care.

10. Re: Disabled husband, need advice for Marriott Waiohai Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 06:26