We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We found the best homemade taro and sweet potato chip!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
25 posts
391 reviews
Save Topic
We found the best homemade taro and sweet potato chip!!!

We found this place called Taro Ko Farms in Hanapepe!

This is one of our favorite stops in Kauai! This is a little run down plantation house that produces the best sweet potato and taro chips in the world. They are right out of the fryer and into the bag. They are so popular that there have been days he is sold out within 1 hour of making them. I buy at least 4 or 5 bags (they are small) each visit. The cost is $4 each if I remember correctly.

You have to get there after noon or 1pm or they are not ready. I suggest calling first if possible to see if he even has them because in some cases this place is out of the way. But worth the trip.

The building is close to the art galleries and stores, located at the beginning of the main street.

You won't regret the trip I promise. ( Try both. The sweet potato is my favorite)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We found the best homemade taro and sweet potato chip!!!

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try them our next visit.

Sounds great.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We found the best homemade taro and sweet potato chip!!!

YUM!!!!!! Thanks for the tip!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We found the best homemade taro and sweet potato chip!!!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I know we did a recent thread or posting about this spot - it is indeed a unique place and one of the very few surviving places where you can walk into someone's home and purchase their product - made right there!

The son is now doing it - used to be you'd walk in and the elderly couple were working hard away in that hot room - with a TV mounted on the wall with their "stories" on so they wouldn't miss a thing while working!

Well worth checking out - for sure! Here is a link that I provided last time that tells a little bit about the uniqueness of this place and some others in old Hanapepe town:

…blogspot.com/2009/08/hanapepe-journey-part-…

Malama Pono,

Janet

4. Re: We found the best homemade taro and sweet potato chip!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:17