We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

Arlington Heights...
14 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

OK - This is my first post here, but i have been lurking for weeks. Here is the plan...My husband and I want to visit Hawaii for the first time as a last great HURRAH before we have kids. We will be in Kauai for 7-9 days in late April early May. The plan is to stay in the Poipu beach area for 6 or 7 days at a condo w/ kitchenette. We would use this as a base to visit Waimea Canyon and various other locales. And then head to the northshore and possibly stay at the Princeville Resort for our last two days.

We are very interested in beach time (snorkeling and swimming)...what are your reccomendations for condo complexes close to the beach.

Any and all suggestions welcome. On the short list are Whaler's Cove, Turtle Cove Suites, and Makahuena @ Poipu.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Montana
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

We just returned from Kauai. Stayed at the Marriott Wioahi Beach Club. They have one and 2 bedroom condos. Great Place. We toured the entire island very easily from here. The beach is nice and lots of snorkeling right in front of Hotel.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

We stayed at whaler's Cove for our anniversary. Fantastic place. Beautiful grounds, huge lanai, great pool right on the ocean. Walk down to snorkeling. We reserved through Suite Paradise and asked for building 1 2nd floor. We got unit 123. Building 1, floor 2 unit 3 which is smack in the middle. Sunsets were fantastic. Building 2 is set back clightly and the pool is in front. Building 1 does limit the view for bnuilding 2.

The units are mostly 2 bedroom, 2 bath, washer dryer, full kitchen, dining & living room. OUr unit had beach chairs and towels too.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

We stayed at whaler's Cove for our anniversary. Fantastic place. Beautiful grounds, HUGE lanai, great pool right on the ocean. Walk down to snorkeling. We reserved through Suite Paradise and asked for building 1 2nd floor. We got unit 123. Building 1, floor 2 unit 3 which is smack in the middle. Sunsets were fantastic. Building 2 is set back slightly and the pool is in front. Building 1 does limit the view for bnuilding 2.

The units are mostly 2 bedroom, 2 bath, washer dryer, full kitchen, dining & living room. OUr unit had beach chairs and towels too.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

Don't know why this posted twice.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

I think the Mariott Wioahi would be an excellent choice at a reasonable price. The Whalers Cove is quite nice, but it costs more and does not have A/C. Also, the Mariott is right on a nice beach and the Whalers Cove is on a rocky (though beautiful)

shoreline.

Hope this helps.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

You should check out the condos at Poipu Kapili as well. We have stayed there 6 times and sent numerous friends and relatives who have all loved it. Request Building 4, it has the best views. Can still walk to Koloa Landing for good snorkeling, especially in the morning when the turtles come to feed, can walk to the beach at the Hyatt, and it has gorgeous sunset views. I think price is cheaper too. Plantation style, 2-story, all are fully equipped. Even the one-bedrooms have two baths. Laundry on site, and you can grill out if you get tired of eating out every meal.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,301 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed...Poipu and North Shore Accomodations

You know, Kauai has lots of different types of places to stay, which is wonderful. Hotels, condos, cottages, yurts, you name it. I would check some main sites, such as vrbo.com, and kauaivacationresorts.com They show tons of places, all over the island and that might help you find just what you are looking for. Hope that helps! :)