We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Koloa without a car ..

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Koloa without a car ..

I am going to spend a week at the Marriott’s Waiohai Beach Club next June, 2013 with some adult family members. We dont want to hire a car so:

how easy is it to get to the Marriott from the airport, Lihue, and does anyone know who much the journey would cost?

How easy is it to get around the island on public transport?

Apart from the resort, what else is there to do. We enjoy the outdoors and one of us wants to surf. Thanks for any advice I get.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

You really need a car to be able to explore Kauai. In June, you will definitely want to spend some time on the north shore and also go to Waimea Canyon. There is no reliable public transportation on Kauai. Without a car you are going to be pretty much limited to your condo and a few shops and restaurants within walking distance and you'll miss some of the best parts of the island.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

For all practical purposes - public transportation on Kauai does not exist. There is a small bus service kauai.gov/Government/…Default.aspx

but it will not take you to the majority of beaches or other spots of interest.

Basically - rent a car.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

If you don't hire a car, you are going to be pretty stuck. The only island with good public transportation is Oahu. That said - Kauai is pretty easy to drive - very straightforward. :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,603 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

You need a car. Reserve it well in advance. Summer is high season, and there can be shortages.

California
Level Contributor
36,408 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

Oh Lordy... Rent a car. Being stuck in Poipu for 1 week is not going to be a great vacation. You need to see the island and its easy to get around. All you can do is book with a bus tour company if you don't have a car. Yuck! Snorkeling will be on the North Shore and you will be spending a lot of time up there. As stated, buses are terrible and by the time you spend money on taxis to and from the airport alone, you could have rented a car for the same price. I have never heard of running out of cars in the summer, but do book something before you arrive. If you wait too long, you pay a premium for the same car. Around the Marriott there is a lot to do which you can walk to, but there is so much more to Kauai than the Poipu Shopping Center. Rent a car!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

Without a car you aren't going much of anywhere - either within Koloa or the rest of the island. Forget public transportation. It's sporadic , slow , and service won't take you to many of the places you should see. From the Marriott Waiohai the only places you can get to without a car are a few shops and restaurants in walking distance and that's about it. June is a perfect time to visit the north shore and it's wonderful beaches. You won't be doing that without a car and that would be a darned shame.

From the airport you can figure about $80-100 each way. From the sounds of it you might need more than one taxi too. It's not worth it. Get a car so you're not stuck at the hotel and it's environs all week.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

You definitely NEED a vehicle ( car hire) while on Kauai.

I have noticed that there seems to be an increase in posts on the Kauai, Maui & Big Island forums of late regarding Traveller's plans to forego a rental vehicle....

It does seem that a good majority of them tend to see the light once receiving replies advising them against this ill thought out plan.

I can't imagine the number of folks whom don't participate on Trip Advisor that arrive on Island without a vehicle booked . After a day or so coming upon the sad realization of their error....and then paying a King's ransom to secure one.

I suspect it is a combination of concerns affecting the decision.,I realize the hesitancy of those visiting from Countries where Driving on the opposite side presents challenges.Perhaps it is a budget decision for others...

Either way, there are numerous destinations around the world where one can navigate and enjoy the lay of the land without a vehicle.........in some locales even the best way to tour utilizing public transportation , walking , taxis etc.

Kauai, Maui, Big Island are not in that category.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

Wanderlust - perhaps that doesn't enter particular travelers minds because they live somewhere with readily available public transport - and just assume that where ever they travel, they will have it available there as well. I tend to think the opposite, because I live where only a few cities have any kind of public transport . . . and generally book a rental car unless assured otherwise. :)

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

Kauai, though small by some standards, craves to be explored. And the car is the mode of transportation there.

Do yourself a huge favor........rent a car. You won't be disappointed. Kauai is waiting for YOU to EXPLORE its nooks and crannies. And ALL of it is awesome.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around Koloa without a car ..

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you are staying at the Waiohai on Po'ipu Rd you can walk to the shopping center across the street, to Po'ipu Beach and Brennecke's Beach and also over to Kukui'ula shopping Village. You probably also can walk over to the area by the Beach House - there is a walking path there.

Anywhere else (including Old Town Koloa) you will need a car - not only because of distance, but because of our lack of sidewalks - you will be trudging thru waist-high weeds or on the very busy roadway - neither a good choice! Public transportation is not geared towards visitors and in fact, not very many residents use it as well I'm afraid!

Rent a car - you really need to do that here on Kaua'i.

Malama Pono,

Janet