We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in January - Advice Sought

NYC
1 post
Save Topic
Kauai in January - Advice Sought

My boyfriend and I are heading to Kauai the second week of January. We are in our late 20s, chill, like music, hiking, cooking...and are hoping to rent a condo or cottage or something similar (with a full kitchen) for 5 nights for less than 200/night (max!).

I read about SeaLodge in Princeville - the units look decent but then I came across the Hanalei Resort Colony - looks very cool - but then started reading about bad smells and possibility of major rain on the North Shore. We dont mind the rain, but dont want to be rained on and stuck in a smelly place while we are on vacation.

Any suggestions of where to stay - ie North Shore or South? Should we head South for the winter week? If so, any places that arent too touristy? we typically like more off the beaten track, but with comfortable beds :)

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

For 5 nights I'd recommend Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy in Kapaa---part of Shell Vacation Resorts. You could get a car and 1 bedroom condo for about $500 on a promotional stay. Only stipulation is you have to attend a timeshare presentation there. Their pool area is great, as is the location--right by Coconut Grove shopping center. I prefer the East side, especially in winter, for it's convenience to head north on good weather days up north or head south on bad weather days up north.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

You do not want to stay north on Kauai in the winter months. It WILL rain -- every day, sometimes ALL day. Last winter Kauai and Oahu had floods across their northern regions.

The Ali'i supposedly moved from north (summer) to south (winter), on most of the islands.

The hitch is going to be to FIND something nice this late! Poipu is the most popular winter destination on Kauai. Or, you may find something on the East side. Wailua Bay View has nice condos with a great view of Wailua Bay -- could you guess that from the name? They are not expensive. Look on vrbo.com

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

if it floods no part of the island is rain free. but in general you should look south. North Shore can be very rainy in Jan.

Waimea Plantation cottages?

4. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2006, 12:23
Calif
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

Hi, listen we (wife) and I have a Timeshare, at the Hanalei bay resort and I have never smell anything. Before we bought our timeshare we have been there twice before one w/ocean view and w/o and no problem. The mountain view is great we had a studio w/ limited kitchen, but great. Anytime you have problems just ask to be move. The North shore does rain, in january but not all day. we are also going in January mid month, and rain does not bother us. Look in the internet for best values on where to stay. People do rent out there timeshares. Best of luck, Oh yes we always go in January.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,720 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

In regards to CHISUE's post, last winter (Feb/March) it flooded everywhere on Kauai. Northshore, East (Coconut Marketplace looked like they put a swimming pool in the entrance) Poipu. Many roads were closed for hours and days. It was unusual. I am a homeowner on the northshore and was there in January. It was beautiful. A few days of rain but nothing terrible. I played tennis, sat at the beach. You just never know how it will be anywhere on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

Hi! We've been to Kauai about 12 times or more and usually stay in the Kapaa area cause its central, then you can go north or south within half an hour or so. We like Kapaa cause its a small town on the ocean and a plus for this area is that you can walk to a lot of restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc., not always have to drive. The south shore-Poipu area is the sunny area but usually more expensive. Although that would be one of my first choices. The north shore is lovely but can be more rainy than the rest of the island, its also usually more expensive. Being in Kapaa makes it easier to access other parts of the island. For example if its not sunny in Kapaa then hop in the car and drive to Poipu or Waimea and chances are its sunny there. There are also some bed and breakfasts on the island if that's what you prefer. If you have any other questions you can email me personally at debt@canada.com. There is nothing more that i like better than talking about Kauai and Hawaii in general. Going again In April for my 18th time. Gotta love it.........Debbie T.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

The sum of these posts probably make you wonder what to do.

I have given up worrying about the weather on Kauai (we've gone 19 times). It is just too hard to predict. We just got back last weekend from a 2 1/2 week stay there -- beautiful weather. Yes, a few rain showers, but, who cares!.

I would pick your spot based on the kind of location you like. We stayed in Poipu, because, we were going to the PGA GrandSlam for three days. We also like the restaurants in the area. But we also love the northshore and particularly love Anini Beach for it's seclusion and gentle surf. We have stayed up north many times, in the winter, with few weather problems. Poipu in going to be much more crowded, the beaches smaller, with more people. Up north, I wouldn't do Hanalei Colony, due to strong surf that time of year. We don't usually stay that far north anyway, since it is such a pain to drive back to civilization on narrow roads with one lane bridges.

Regardless, you are going to love the island. So beautiful, so peaceful.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
9. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2018, 22:31
Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai in January - Advice Sought

By this point (December) you have probably located something; but, just in case. My husband and I just returned from 10 days on Kauai. We had a wonderful time...we stayed on the South end of the island in Poipu. We rented a condo at the Sunset Kahili. It had a full kitchen, lovely view of the ocean, gas BBQ grills and everything you could want or need, including beach chairs and towels. It is a great way to save your budget. We found the island to be expensive, even at the supermarket. Use the farmers markets for fruit and veggies instead. And to answer your questions about rain...yes it rains more on the north side of the island. More eating options in Kapaa but it is also much busier than Poipu which is fairly quiet and residential. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI