We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
423 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

Planning on visiting in May 08. I like both but not sure which to book. I think the Marriott is more me, but we'll have a 21 yr old and 18 yr old with us, and I think they might be a little happier at the Sheraton.

Would like to here opinions as to pro/cons for people familiar with these hotels.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well I used to work at the Sheraton and am familiar with the Waiohai property as well -- did a tour of the rooms before the place opened and have several friends that work there.

The Sheraton is a good old-fashioned hotel -- the ocean wings sit right on the edge of the ocean -- there is a beach/pool wing and an ocean wing. The garden and partial ocean view rooms are across the street. It isn't a hugely sprawling property, but a more intimate type place. The Shells restaurant has a great breakfast buffet every morning and the Naniwa Japanese restaurant is very popular with residents of the island. There is a swimming pool on the ocean side and a much quieter one on the garden side.

The Marriot Waiohai is a time-share property -- the great majority of the rooms are more "condo style" rooms and are very luxurious -- it is also situated on the same beach that the Sheraton is -- but is a little fancier and certainly a newer property.

One is a hotel -- one is a time-share condo type place. Both have almost exactly the same location and beach amenities. Both have restaurants (I think the Sheraton pulls a little ahead in this department with their ocean-view "Shells" and "The Point").

Apples and oranges I'm afraid -- just depends on what you are looking for!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

There have been numerous posts about hotels/rsorts in Poipu in the past couple months, so please do a few searches -- good info.

That being said, we're stayed at the Sheraton Poipu and liked it very much. Get an ocean view or ocean front room. The hotel is split down the middle, and you will want the ocean side. Great beach -- two pools, one bachside.

With the kids -- try for a package that includes the buffet breakfast. Also - if you are not a Starwood member -- it can really save you some $$. Call the main Sheraton number, ask for the Hawaii desk and tell them you want to know about Starwood discounts for Poipu.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

Keep in mind there are 2 Marriotts. Waiohai is down in Poipu and is as Janet described. There is a full service hotel Marriott (with some timeshare units as well) in Lihue on Kalapaki Bay. Great pool, lovely common areas. Haven't been in a room in 5-6 years.

Lots of restaurants nearby.

Don't skip the hotel reviews here either. Lots of info there especially people pointing out the cons.

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

I've stayed at the Marriott in Lihue on Kalapaki Bay. I haven't stayed at the Sheraton, but have stayed at condo's in the area several times over the past couple years.

There are pro's (but few con's) to both locations.

The Marriott is a very nice hotel, has a very swimmable beach, very large pool, and resturants and shopping within walking distance. The resort was well-maintained and we really enjoyed our stay. Duke's, a popular resturant, is located on the property.

The Sheraton, located in Poipu, sits next to a beautfiul beach. Although I haven't stayed their, I've spent several weeks in the area and really enjoy that area. It also has a "swimmable" beach and (IMHO) better snorkling.

Really the difference between the two is based on the areas, not the resorts. The Marriott is on a more secluded beach, since it is currently the only hotel in the area and the only one that shares that beach. The Sheraton is on a very popular (if not the most popular) beach in Kauai, so it will have a larger crowd.

I don't think you can go wrong with either location, but with an 18 and 21 year old, I'd lean towards the Sheraton. The Poipu area is probably more exciting for that age range. The surf is a little bigger there, there are more people within the same age group, etc.

They'll enjoy either location, so don't worry too much about the choice.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You are aware that there are 2 Marriot properties on the island --

the one that I was talking about is here on the South Shore, sharing the same beach as the Sheraton.

The Lihu'e Marriot is situated on Kalapaki Beach and is a very different property.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Wild, Wild West
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

We stayed at the Marriott in Lihue last year and don't have anything negative to say at all about the place...we loved it and would go back in a heartbeat. Great pool, great bar drinks, Dukes!!!, nice jogging path thru the lush golf course, nice beginner surf area....

The snorkeling is definitely better over in Poipu though and the Sheraton is nice. It will definitely be more crowded over there.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
423 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

Tks for everyone's replies.

The Marriott Resort we are looking at is the one with Duke's. I've read the reivews on both, and still had an issue making decisions.

I belong to both Marriott and Starwood frequent stay programs. We will likely be staying at a Sheraton on Oahu ( I like the Moana Surfrider), but Maui is up in the air.

I'm not familiar with Kaui at all, so I don't know how to judge by llocation. If the Sheraton is more crowded, does that mean that there is more to do in the immediate vicinity?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

Keep studying the island and what all you want to do there before you a book a hotel, would be my advice. You might find the things you want to do are more on the north shore (Ke'e Beach, Hanalei area is a favorite amongst many) and if that is the case, you don't want to be driving that everyday. You might find you want to split your time between the north and the south. From all I have heard, the swimming on the east shore (Dukes area) is not the best/safest (no protective reefs). As for the south side, Sheraton and Grand Hyatt are highly recommended. Grand Hyatts beach is not great for swimming, but the pools are outstanding with even a salt water lagoon. Sheraton has a good beach.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

The Marriott in Lihue is on Kalapaki Beach which is protected because it is not open to the ocean but inside a bay, so it normally is safe for swimming (they post flags usually if it is unsafe). The pool at the Marriott is great (althogh no waterfalls). Snorkeling is probably better at Poipu, but like someone else said you need to take into consideration where you will be wanting to visit, one of the advantages of the Marriott Lihue is its central location. Have not visited the Sheraton in a long time, sorry.

10. Re: Sheraton Kaui vs Marriott Kaui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Lihue