We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai or the Big Island of Hawaii?

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington,MA
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kauai or the Big Island of Hawaii?

Two women 50, looking to go to either island in May.Haven't been in 20 years and that was Honolulu. We are going for 10 days and want to stay on one island.We love the beach and water activities so we are looking to stay at a hotel with a great beach and pool.Don't golf or need to "spa".

We just want to see the island,swim and relax. Nightlife isn't that important,but it would be nice to see or do something.

Any help, suggestions would be great and so appreciated.

Colorado
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai or the Big Island of Hawaii?

Ladies,

I would consider doing both islands. We were on BI in May 05 and spent five great days. We did five on Maui and 3 on Oahu. Didn't fee that we missed a thing. May is a good time to go. Downtime for tourists, yet beautiful weather.

Have a great time!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai or the Big Island of Hawaii?

I personaly like to stay put. We did two weeks on Kauai last summer and did not want to leave. I prefer to not hassle the airports and secrurit more than I have to. There are some great hotels on the Kona Coast and you might want to check that forum for recommendations. We stayed at the Mani Lani last time we were there and loved it. But that was at least 10 years ago.

I also love Kauai and go as often as I can. If you want to stay in a resort hotel, I would recommend The Princeville. Great pool, great beach, gorgeous location. Also, the Grand Hyatt on the south shore is absolutely wonderful but their beach is not really swimable. And two single women in their 50s would probably prefer a smaller, quieter hotel than the Hyatt. A lot of families with kids go to the Hyatt (me included) but we stayed at the Princeville before kids and it was fantastic!

If you are looking for a condo, well, that's a whole new discussion. Check out the forum for suggestions on that subject.

p.s. A lot of people will try to steer you towards the east shore or Lihue. My opinion again, but I would avoid those areas. Too crowded and too much traffic. North or South.... but The Princeville might be what you are looking for....

Also check out the Hanalei Bay Resort! Great reviews and they have hotel rooms as well. But not the "full service" hotel like the two I mentioned already.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai or the Big Island of Hawaii?

aloha! Well, I'll admit right from the start . . . I am biased, but then you did post on the Kauai forum. :) I would just stay on Kauai. It's one of the oldest of the Hawaiian islands, so it has better beaches (and more of them) than the Big Island. It's also smaller and easier to access things, because it sounds to me like you just want to relax - not spend all your time driving around. As well, that is why I would stay on just one island. My first trip to Kauai was for 16 days . . . it was the most relaxing vacation in my life - and I was not ready to go home! For a free booklet and to see some great photos of the island, check out: www.kauaidiscovery.com

I agree with the previous poster as well - since it's May, I would head to the North shore - the summer crowds won't be there yet, so you should have peace, quiet and incredible beauty. For your evenings, go out for dinner in Hanalei - stroll around and such - perfect time to do that. You could always go to a luau or something for a bit more action if you so desired. For more details, I would pick up a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Revealed. As well as what Martik mentioned for accommodations, there are also a few websites that lists lots of lodgings - condos, houses, cottages, etc - Kauai has lots to choose from: www.kauaivacationresorts.com and vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/kauai

Happy planning! :)

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai or the Big Island of Hawaii?

If you love beaches, Kauai is a better choice. Big Island only two nice beaches and they are next to each other on the NE end of the island. Both beaches are small comparing to the beaches in Oahu and Kauai. As far as attractions, the Big Island has Volcanoes but Kauai has the canyon. Kauai is also smaller and easier to get around.

5. Re: Kauai or the Big Island of Hawaii?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Lihue