We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good bar in Lihue?

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
51 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Good bar in Lihue?

OK I have to kill two hours between picking up various family members at LIH airport......any ideas where to go nearby with nice cocktails & puupuu platters?

Scenery a plus, but not picky as long as it safe.

MAHALO!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good bar in Lihue?

Duke's Barefoot Bar is about 8 minutes away. It is located at the Kauai Marriott at Kalapaki Beach.

California
Level Contributor
36,077 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good bar in Lihue?

I second Dukes. That's an easy one!!!!

Prescott, AZ
Level Contributor
51 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good bar in Lihue?

Cool. I think we ate dinner there once.

mahalo!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good bar in Lihue?

JJ Broiler

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good bar in Lihue?

swami

We have been to both, and we strike up more conversations at Duke's Barefoot Bar..................but , J..J.'s is a very nice bar, with a grand view.

They are within a couple minutes walk of each other at kalapaki beach area. Cannot go wrong with either one.

Later at night, you might want to avoid the park area, that lies between J.J."s and the matson gate. But, Anchor cove where J.J.'s is located, and dukes at the kalapaki bay marriot should not be a problem.

Denny

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
765 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good bar in Lihue?

Whatever happened to that brew-pub ("Whalers" I think) that was out at that abandoned shopping mall type place? As I recall, you had to drive through the golf course by the Marriot to get to it. My husband and I had lunch there one day on our first trip to Kauai. That place had a fantastic view of the lighthouse and all of Nawiliwili Harbor and Kalapaki beach, and it was a blast to watch the airplanes take off and land right over your head. The beer and food were pretty good too, but the service was horrible, and it was nearly deserted.

Actually, what's the story of that whole abandoned shopping mall area anyways? Was that a victim of Iniki, or the subject of legal tussles, or what? Last year my husband and I took a drive out there to see if anything had been done with the place only to find a bunch of chairs set up in the courtyard as if for a wedding. I would think it would be a pretty creepy place for a wedding, the air of abandonment and the disrepair of the exterior of the buildings aren't very festive.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good bar in Lihue?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Whaler's Brew Pub" closed maybe 5 years ago now - maybe more? Anywho -- it has been closed for quite awhile.

That whole area that used to be the shopping village of the old Westin hotel has been closed down just -- forever! It was always quite an eerie place out there as everything was deserted -- a friend of mine (the owner of CJM Stables) bought all the incredible statuary that used to be in there -- all Charles Remington type statues of cowboys and indians -- now 2 of them are at the entrance to the Kaua'i Nursery on the highway -- and the rest of them are sitting incongruously out at "cow camp" - the little shack and meadows out from Koloa Mill that houses some of their horses--I walk out there by the resevoir and it is so strange to see those statues sitting out there all by their lonesome!

Anyway -- the area of Whaler's Brew Pub and the shopping village is now being turned into a residential development by Ritz Carlton -- and is in the middle of all kinds of construction -- beaucoup dollars for those puppies!

Malama Pono,

Janet

8. Re: Good bar in Lihue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Lihue