We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit Hawaii

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Best time of year to visit Hawaii

We want to take a one month vacation to Hawaii

Maui, and a few other islands, perhaps one week on a island or 10 days on 3

Does anyone have any suggestions, best time to go.

We cannot go during the summer due to our business commitments, but Nov Jan or Feb possibly March are months we could go.

Please give me some info if you have any, on which islands you like the best and why, also great places to stay, fabulous restaurants etc., things not to miss.

Thanks all for your help in planning our Hawaiian

adventure.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

Of those months I'd pick November. late Sept/oct is my favorite period.

For your other questions, might want to wander back through older threads via the search function. They are common questions and have been discussed many times. The hotel and restaurant tabs also have a lot of info available.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

Our criteria:

1) When we've had enough winter: beginning in 5 days, 16 hours & 29 minutes,

2) When the Big Boys, Ladies 'n Babies are at their peak...that would be the Humpback Whales,

3) When the weather is nice & warm (but not too hot),

4) Before I've figured how what my income tax bill will be.

Near Seattle
Level Contributor
196 posts
3. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

If I had a month to vacation with my husband, with no kids, with a reasonable budget, and I was still fit and active (what a dream that would be!); this is what I would do:

When: My first pick would be November with a caveat that it wouldn't be whale watching season. If whales are important, I'd go in March.

Island(s): I would split my time up evenly on the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai. On the Big Island: I would visit the volcano area for hiking and sight-seeing for a couple days followed by a short visit to the Hilo side for waterfalls, etc. Remainder of trip I would enjoy snorkeling and beaches of Kona or Kohala. A boat tour to Captain Cook a must. On Maui: I would visit Hana; enjoy the beaches and snorkeling, visit Haleakala, do a zipline or two or three, day trip to Molokai or Lanai or both, snorkeling to Molokini. On Kauai: I would visit Waimea Canyon, the north shore, with lots of hiking and beach time inbetween. On all islands I would spread activities out so there were lots of days of relaxation. If my days got too full, I would reduce the activities.

Accomodations: I would prefer to stay in a condo on the beach in South Kihei on Maui. I would stay in a condo on the beach in Poipu on Kauai. I would stay in a condo in Kona or Kohala for all but two or three days on the Big Island saving a day or two at a B&B near Volcano.

Restaurants: Can't help you there...we like Bubba Gump's if that gives you any sense of our preferences. Although if we didn't have the kids with us, some swanky establishments would be fun...oh never mind...we'd never spend the money on anything more than $20 for an entree and preferrably $15 or less. I would go to a Luau on one of the Islands...probably the Kona Village on the Big Island or Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. If you like luaus a lot, go to one on each island. One would be enough for us. We went to one on our first trip to Hawaii and we've never gone again unless we were visiting with others who hadn't been to one before.

Thinking again: since we've visited all the islands except Molokai and Lanai....and if we had the budget...we would plant ourselves at a condo on the beach somewhere for the whole month and do leisurely excursions from there with a meal out every day or two. If I had to pick one place where I could get a reasonably priced condo on the beach where I could walk out and get my toes wet within a minute or two of leaving the condo...it would be South Kihei on Maui....Maui Banyan, Kamaole Nalu, Hale Pau Hana, Hale Hui Kai...(we've only stayed at Kamaole Nalu which was good enough for the four of us....if dreaming I would stay at Makena Surf condos but this costs three times what one of these other condos would cost).

Thanks for letting me dream...hope there was a nugget or two of info in my post

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

I really don't think there is a bad time to go to Hawaii, other than the week of Christmas, which is way too crowded and over priced for me. Not that they happen very frequently, but I also avoid July through September for hurricanes. We use to go over quite a bit in late November for the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, but the creeps moved it to Bermuda this year, for good I guess. So now January is our favorite -- mainly because we love to whale watch and get out of town and cold weather right after the holidays.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

Our favorite months are November and March. But spring break may fall in March and I would avoid Hawaii when the kids are out of school. We used to do an annual trip with friends for Thanksgiving to Hawaii for the entire week and we have always had wonderful weather and it's not too crowded. Dear friends of mine spend the entire month of November in Poipu every year to get away from the cold in Washington state. I would vote for November unless you really want to see the whales.

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

my favorite time to go is actually late summer b/c that's when the water is the calmest and warmest...and it gets hot where i live in the summer, especially late summer, which is the worst weather we really get here in SoCal.

living in southern california, i don't really ever feel the need to escape the winter weather.

but, as someone else mentioned, there aren't really any "bad" times to go to hawaii (at least none that i've found).

i also enjoy november, i've always had good weather then (luck of the draw to be sure).

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

We were thinking January, but I looked at the weather network statistics and it seems to have a fair bit of rain, what is your experience, I definitely want the whales, and peace and quiet, beautiful surroundings and some exploring.

What islands do you recommend if not staying in one place for the entire time??

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

This January has been quite cool, blustery and rainy. If you come in January you have to be prepared for that; it's winter, after all. I'd aim for early November or late March.

I would think about spending three days on O`ahu. You really should see the Pearl Harbor Memorial and Waikiki, if you're into that kind of city thing.

Kaua`i for it's natural beauty and laid-back atmosphere.

Big Island for the contrast of lava fields and rain forest, and what's probably the best snorkeling in the islands.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
9. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

I like the response from HawaiiForUs. Good thoughts!

DH and I have been visiting Hawaii for 25+ years, first dividing a two-week trip between two islands and later dividing a month between two. We have come in winter, mainly to avoid some of that season in Chicagoland. (Looking out at a fresh foot of snow today!)

November will be less expensive by about 15%, but...few or no whales. (Peak whale season is mid-Feb.)

January and February are VERY popular and more expensive months, and it can be difficult to find nice condos unless you book a year in advance. It will also be cooler, with more rain and wind over the northern parts of every island (worst Kauai and Oahu).

OK, that leaves March. Less heavily booked. Less wind and rain on most islands except northern Kauai and Oahu. And there are whales. Voila! March!

Realize that Oahu, Kauai and Maui are all tropical and small. Kauai seems even smaller because so much of it is vertical and you can only see it via helicopter. In March you'd want to stay south, at Poipu.

Oahu has little lodging outside of Honolulu and environs -- but that's where you'd find best weather in March anyway. So stay Waikiki while you see the city sights, then rent a car to tour the east and north shores.

Maui has the best choice of lodgings and restaurants outside of Honolulu. Stay South (SW coast) or West (NW lobe). Visit Hana (far SE). We like quiet, so we stay in S. Kihei. (Like HawaiiForUs, Makena Surf is outside of our budget!) If you want more buzz, stay closer to where that is: Lahaina/Kaanapali in West. Farther north in West are quieter Napili and Kapalua.

Big Island is BIG, with a 'dry side' that's largely bare lava and with fewer beaches. Best lodgings are all in the NW corner. If you want to see the volcano, plan to spend a night in Volcano; it's a long drive home in the dark if you stay elsewhere.

I'd cut time on Oahu and Kauai and spend most on Big Island. Maui is sort of 'in the middle'.

10. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Lihue