We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

We are going in the middle of august and we are probally gonna stay at kaanapalli beach club in Maui for 4 days and we arent sure where to stay in Kauai. We will be staying for 4 days in Kauai too. We would like a decent beach at the hotel we can swim at and we want a decent price. Does anyone have any suggestions that will help us? Thanks so much!

California
Level Contributor
35,797 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

In Augsut I would suggest the North Shore for the swimmable beaches and gorgeous scenery. Hotels are limited. There's the pricey Princeville, the new Westin, but most options are condos. Look into Hanalei Bay Resort and rent a privately owned condo through VRBO or summitpacific.com. Do not use hotels.com or those types of sites to rent through this resort. A "hotel" room will run from $135-190 depending on the views. HBR is very popular with honeymooners. They have a bar and restaurant on site, a massage therapist, poolside service, tennis courts and the beach is just below the resort via a paved path. It is the same beach as the Princeville Hotel. Better beaches are 10-15 minutes away in Hanalei and Haena.

The East Shore is a good option as it's centrally located. Islander on the Beach and Kauai Beachboy are both nice. They are on a non swimmable beach. The Marriott in Lihue is nice and has an OK beach. It can get crowded with cruise ship people. On the South side (Poipu) is the Hyatt ($$$$) and Sheraton ($$$). Kuhio Shores is a great condo complex on the water, but beware. No a/c and August is hot.

Starts with these and then we can answer more questions.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,413 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

Aloha! I agree with Jebett - head to the Northshore - you just can't beat it for incredible beauty, wonderful swimming and snorkeling during the summer. Have a great time!! :)

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

Another vote for the north shore in August. jebett gave you a very good rundown of hotel possibilities, but you might also consider a condo or a private cottage/home. We stayed at this cottage last summer for our 30th anniversary and found it to be private and romantic. You're not right on the beach, but Anini Beach is less than a 5 minute walk away and it was never crowded at all.

http://www.vrbo.com/22597

You can check out vrbo.com for other private rentals if you're interested.

California
Level Contributor
35,797 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

desertbeachlover:

I did recommend condos. HBR are condos. I do not like to recommend houses/cottages out of the VDA. Princeville is in the VDA so if you are interested in a house look there. Haena is cracking down on cottage rentals and the county will probably follow suit in these other areas soon if enough private owners of non vacation rental owners have their way. Just ask the owners if their property is affected.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

Ok well thank for everyones advice but where is the best place in Maui? Is the kaannapalli beach club nice and does it have a good beach? Also whats the best way to get the cheapest flights.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,413 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

JesseKats - you might direct your questions regarding Maui over on the Maui forum. I thought from your post that you were already planning on the Ka'anapali Beach Club. While I haven't stayed there, that is a good area on Maui. You are close to Lahaina, which is great fun for dining out & shopping. Good beaches & snorkeling there as well - at least when I have gone in the winter. You will find Kauai more affordable than Maui - just so you know. :)

California
Level Contributor
35,797 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

Personally I am not a Kanapali lover (too crowded for me). I have stayed at the Marriott and Sheraton there. A lot of people want to be in the center of activity so it depends on what you are looking for. I like the Napili Bay and Kahana area. I have only visited the Wailua area. Kea Lani Hotel is nice. ($$$$) Go on the Maui forum and see what they say.

California
Level Contributor
35,797 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

For flight information tell us where Dyer is located. I have decided that flights to Maui from the mainland are more reasonable than flights to Kauai. I guess it's supply and demand. I would stay on Maui first and then Kauai. I think you want your lasting impression to be of the beauty of Kauai.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

Kaanapali is one of the nicest beaches on Maui and many people opt to stay there.

The beach has a really good snorkeling spot, Black Rock and a walking beach path with bars and restaurants- and a mini mall.

There are a lot of high rise hotels along that beach, so you won't be alone; popular area.

When we went, we snorkeled there and had a great time but did not stay in that area.

We wanted a bit more seclusion and I am not fond of high rises. Also, the smoking bothered me along the beach path.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Kauai and Maui on Honeymoon! Where should i stay?

Dyer is in Northwest Indiana about 30 minutes from Chicago midway airport.

So do all of you prefer staying in Kauai longer then Maui? Thats the impression im kind of getting. We have 10 days to use if we need, so what would you break those into? 6 days in kauai and 4 days in Maui?

Im 27 years old and this is my honeymoon so we want to explore and relax. But we dont want to miss anything because this is a once in a lifetime thing for us. So if anyone has regrets or things that they would absolutly not want to miss please let me know. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Lihue