We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jet lag

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south carolina
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
jet lag

we are going to kauai the end of april and are so excited! we are flying from south carolina. there are a few flights involved and arriving at lihue at 7:30 pm. a friend who goes to hawaii often told us to change our flights, get a nights rest in LA and then go on to lihue arriving in the afternoon. sounds like a great idea so contacted airline and was told it will be a fee of $130 each (two of us) plus of course the cost of a hotel at the airport. we would rather have extra $$ for helicopter ride or something else and deal with being exhausted. are we wrong, should we rebook flights so we are not tired????

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: jet lag

I agree with the others that say do it all in one day. Here is a link to advice on reducing the effects of jet lag:

britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

Also, do the jet lag calculator on that site.

covington,la
Level Contributor
778 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: jet lag

Sounds like we are using the same flight Arriving at 730p Lihue (ATA airlines from Oakland. We have been to Oahu before and had to leave earlier in the morning. That trip it was hotel, quick dinner, 1 MaiTai and sleep by 9pm! I was awesome to awake early in Hawaii!

TA when are ya'll traveling?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: jet lag

Here's another vote for doing it all in one day. We usually arrive around 7 or 8 p.m. in Lihue and do our best to stay awake until 9:30 or 10 if we can. In two days, we are on Kauai time.

If you have a choice on flight times going back,, try to get a late flight out of Lihue to LA and then on. We have found that by catching the 11p.m. flight we can get on the plane and pretty much go to sleep quickly and sleep all the way to LAX. The problem with a number of flights we have taken from Honolulu to Dallas or Chicago is that they leave too early in the evening. By the time you are ready to conk out, you are almost there. So you end up essentially missing a night's sleep and feel like a zombie for three days.

pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: jet lag

Gomike's advice was 100% correct, there is no sense to wasting another day of time traveling just to not have to do the entire thing at once. Claiming luggage, going to/from airport, re-checking luggage, checking in/out of the hotel.. and 1 less day in Hawaii..?! Give me a break!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: jet lag

For you people whom sleep on the plane----How do you do it????!!! For some reason I have a really hard time falling asleep in a plane. Put me in a car, though, and I'm out.

south carolina
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: jet lag

thank you so much to everyone!!!! I have read all your comments and we are leaving flight as is. you're right.....better to just get there. i cant wait. I will be back with more questions. thank you again

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: jet lag

slabeaume -- I don't know about anyone else, but I have a glass of red wine with dinner, inflate my neck pillow, take a half of an ambien, and out I go.

PA
Level Contributor
463 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: jet lag

Well, twice we flew from Philly to Hawaii all in one day. This last trip we decided to leave a day early and fly to Vegas. Great place for a layover! We had some fun, and by morning we were off to hawaii and weren't all washed out when we got there.

Now, I would NEVER lose a day of Hawaii for a layover. But if you can take an extra day, it really is nice. Coming home was rough though. We're home a week and still aren't right! I think next time we'll try a late flight out instead of a 2 p.m. flight, and pray we don't get the seat kicker/screaming baby/sick sneezy coughy guy who always seem to find us!

Port Lavaca, Texas
Level Contributor
606 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: jet lag

I reduce my jet lag by setting my watch to the time zone I am going to as soon as I get on the plane. My dad gave me this advise…he has traveled all over the world and has never had any trouble. I have used it a few times and it seems to work for me too. It won’t help you sleep in the next morning:(, but it will help put you on Hawaiian time.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
423 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: jet lag

I am glad that you did not change your flights. I have to agree, going west does not seem to affect us but going east is a killer. Plus it takes awhile to get back on your normal time zone-it takes me over a week to be back to normal.

Have a great time! The long flight is so worth it.

Get answers to your questions about Lihue