We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay...HELP

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay...HELP

Thinking my vacation was all wrapped up...NCL goes and pulls the ship...90% of the passengers were moved to another ship....which leave 10%...YEP, I'm one of the 10%. We had airfare to Hawaii and nowhere to go...Now I'm stuck planning a vacation for 7 people. Kauai is the last island left. I've looked at hotel after hotel after Condo....Since there are 7 of us (4 adults and 3 kids) there is a budget of course. I made a reservation at the Hilton for July....now I'm having second thoughts...Is it truly raining all the time? I'm a sun lover but I also want the kids to have nice pools to swim in. My mother needs air conditioning, that's why the condo thing is out....Will I be OK, in July or should I look elsewhere?

By the seat of my pants

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

Not sure about the weather in July, but we just returned and didn't have 1 day of rain the whole week....which I've heard is unusual for Kauai. It's supposed to rain there a lot.

We stayed at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, which is a timeshare resort. You can try looking into that. Not sure about your budget.

California
Level Contributor
35,803 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

Kauai in July is wonderful. You will get some sprinkles, but if you blink they are over.

If you really want a great pool look at Hanalei Bay Resort or Waipouli Beach Resort. Both of these are condos with a/c.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,409 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

July is a fabulous time to be in Kauai . . . especially on the North shore . . . heck, you'll be glad you aren't on a boat once you are done with your booking hassles, because you are going to love Kauai. You have come to the right place - many people will help you with what you need here. Good luck! :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't rain "a lot" on Kaua`i. That makes it sound like the entire island is rainy all or most of the time. Yes, we do have the wettest spot on earth, but it's way up the mountain in the center of the island - you can't get there anyway. Rain here tends to be small, isolated trade showers that blow on through quickly. Usually, you can just drive until you find the sun.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

Are you moving 7 people around from island to island? Bless you. Maybe you should try to do just a couple and save yourself and the others some hassle.

chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

Hanalei Bay looks amazing....can you recommend which website to rent through

California
Level Contributor
35,803 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

If you mean Hanalei Bay Resort the best website for rentals through owners (the ONLY way to go) is summitpacific.com. The buildings with the best views are 4000 and 9000. July is busy so better book soon.

There is a large 3 bedroom which would hold your family in the 4000 building through Regency Pacific Realty. You pay more going through a rental agency but they might have more larger units.

I also know some owners who don't advertise who might have availability so you could email me if these sites don't show any openings.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,409 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

And if you can't find anything in Hanalei, Princeville is just up the road, has great ocean and mountain views and lots of properties as well - www.vrbo.com is a excellent site to find those. Good luck! :)

chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

Thanks you everyone for your input..Success!!!! reservations made at HBR....

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay...HELP

on my first trip to kauai, my wife and i were driving to ke'e beach on our first full day.

it started to rain near the overlook of that huge taro field.

we pulled over to put the top up on the jeep, and by the time we got out of the jeep, the rain had passed.

that story pretty much sums up what as been my experience w/ rain in kauai.

kauai in july is a little slice of heaven on earth.

enjoy your stay, i personally think you'll be glad you're not stuck on a boat.

Get answers to your questions about Lihue