We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night at Kauai Palms hotel

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
48 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
One night at Kauai Palms hotel

As I need to go to Lihue airport at 7am, I decide to stay at Kauai Palms Hotel for final night. Some negative comments on this hotel make me uneasy but location seems to be convenient.

I would like to eat at Hamura Saimin (We eat similar food "ramen" (picture of ramen) http://www.worldramen.net/

Kauai museum and shopping center seem to be walking

distance.

Unless I do not read any more bad review, I will spend one night at this hotel. I wonder if there are some people considering staying at this hotel.

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
48 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

After posting my message, I noticed that link might be inappropriate. If so, please remove my post.

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

There are other better "motels" close by (Garden Island Inn) but if your reason for staying at the Kauai Palms is to be close to Hamura then you have chosen the correct place to stay. It is just around the corner. It is located in a very mixed area. I think it the rooms were redone a few years ago, but it is not a place I recommend for my guests to stay before leaving for the airport.

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
48 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

Jebett,

Thank you for your reply. Actually Hamura Saimin is not reason to pick up this place. If it is easy to use Kauai bus, Garden Island Inn would be better. (We do not rent a car.)

At first we thoght we would stay at Hilton but if we stay there, we stay all day inside the hotel and lose chance of visiting Lihue.

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

Lihue is nothing special and really nothing to see or do there. It is the main center of the island with government buildings and industrial park. I would highly suggest you stay at The Marriott. They will drive you to the airport(2 minutes away) and there are nice things to see and do right there. It is in the city of Lihue but down by the harbor. The other hotels in the area are away from the nicer part of Lihue. The Hilton is nice but off by itself and therefore nowhere to go. If you can afford Marriott you should do that.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

For just one night, to be close to the airport, I'd really recommend the Tip Top Motel. It's clean, basic and has a restaurant downstairs. It's kind of an institution in Lihue and it's right on Akahi street, very close to the airport. If need be, you could even hike over to the airport the next morning. I'd say it's about a 20-25 minute walk. Depending on how much luggage you have of course. Phone number is 808-245-2333

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
48 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

Every Sunday morning, I enjoy listening to radio program "Wiki Wiki Hawaii" (recorded at Hyatte Regency, Honolulu). I am also looking forward to 7th Yokohama Hawaii festival.

Jebett,

Thank you for your advice. If I am not on the budget, I would choose Marriott. When I traveled to Big island, I stayed at Marriott. I was impressed with clean renovated room and good attitude of hotel staff.

Napaguy,

I would like to try pancake of Tiptop motel. Did you stay at the motel? I walk a lot so it is helpful to know how close it would be to the airport.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

Read the reviews of the Tip Top. It's just about the lowest end place on the island. The breakfast and lunch are good, but I've heard nothing good about the rooms besides the post just above. The Palms looks much nicer.

Walking from the Marriot or the Garden Island Inn is pretty iffy. There's no sidewalk going up that hill and people race through even though the speed limit is only 35 MPH (25 in spots).

From the Palms, the business district of Lihue is easy walking. There's a small museum, a few shops and not a whole lot else. It's not really a tourist destination. To walk to the Kukui grove is also problematic. There are no sidewalks either up from the Marriot from downtown via the road down the valley from Rice street. We really do have a lousy road system for pedestrians.

Too bad getting a driver's license in Japan is so much work and expense. You'd have a much easier time with a car.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

Dave, yes, it is pretty low end. I've read the reviews and yes, they are mixed. But I got the impression the OP is looking for a basic fix, which it definitely is - basic. I know a couple who did exactly the same thing - stayed there one night prior to departure and had no problem. At least with the room they had, despite the fact that they are small and very basic. They knew in advance it was no resort hotel thus had no inflated expectations.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

OP, I just checked out the website for the Kauai Palms and yes, I would agree with Dave820 and give it a thumbs-up over the Tip Top Motel. It does look to be one notch higher in caliber. Looks like it's in the same area also. Convenient to the airport.

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
48 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night at Kauai Palms hotel

dave820,

It's sad to know that there is no side way, as I will plan to go to Kukui grove on final day. I paid more than 250,000 yen at driving school to get driver's license but as I have never driven a car, it would be dangerous to rent a car.

Napaguy

Yes, I do not expect too much for one night stay. If only room is clean and no roaches, I would be satisfied.

Get answers to your questions about Lihue