We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Sharkey's Restaurant

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Old Sharkey's Restaurant

In the early 90's we ate at a restaurant called Sharkey's near the Westin Kauai Resort in the Lagoons area. We took a water taxi to get to the place, but I'm pretty sure it was also accessible by car. Great seafood and fantastic ocean views, especially at sunset. I think that it shut down after Iniki hit Kauai, but I'm wondering a restaurant using another name has reopened in that location now. I think that the Westin property is now called the Marriott Resort, but if anyone knows what restaurant is there now, I would appreciated it very much. Thanks for any info you have.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Sharkey's Restaurant

There is not any open restaurants up in the kauai lagoons area at this time.

They have built a new property that will be open some time down the line.

However, I do not know if it was the same as sharkeys.

The lagoons are still there, but the grand plan for the grand marriot, is at a stand still until the grand day that they finish up and open up the grand development.

However, we walk up past that area most every day, and enjoy the lagoons, nene's, herons, egrets, and off shore sometimes a spouting whale.

There are no boats cruising the lagoons, but we see some nice chris craft, and maybe a water taxi type vessel up on the dry behind a fence.

We also are looking forward to the view restautant opening, and walking up there from banyon harbor, past kalapaki beach and the marriot, to enjoy a sundowner once the project is finished......it does not look like it will be very soon......but perhaps the marriot managers would have some idea.

Denny and Erica

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Sharkey's Restaurant

I think Sharkey's might have been the original name of the restaurant, that became Whaler's Brew Pub. It sounds like that's what you're describing. It's been closed for some time and there is a development being built there where the old shopping mall once stood. All that's been gone for quite some time.

Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Sharkey's Restaurant

Thanks so much for your quick responses. A friend of mine is going to Kauai in a few weeks for his honeymoon and I was telling him what a great place that was. It's sad to think that a place with a view like that is not being used anymore. Thanks again for the information.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Sharkey's Restaurant

I remember having our 10th anniversary dinner out at Inn on the Cliffs, which was accessed by boat. Too bad all that went away.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Sharkey's Restaurant

I remember Sharkey's! We ate there several times before Iniki. For some reason, I thought they were part of the TS Restaurant chain (I could be wrong) which includes Duke's and Keoki's, both still on Kauai.

6. Re: Old Sharkey's Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Lihue