We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking poles

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
127 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking poles

Where would be a good place to buy hiking poles in Lihue?

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking poles

Wal Mart.

<$20 for a pair.

I left my stick at the base of the Kalalau trail but didn't realize it until I got back to Kapaa. So I went to the Wal-Mart. The checkout girl thought I was going skiing.

Edited: 03 April 2010, 03:27
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,536 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking poles

Don't know about where to buy them on Kauai.

On a side note, I hike a lot with another couple. They have some really nice hiking poles.

I asked where they got them & he told me they were golf club shafts. Someone had given him an old golf club set which he didn't ever use. So he made hiking poles out of some of them by cutting off the end.

He recently made one for me. Best hiking pole I've ever had.

TX
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking poles

If you are serious about hiking and will use them again, why not buy them on the mainland from sporting goods store, or REI, or backcountry.com, etc. You have more choices and on Kauai. Get the telescoping ones so you can pack in your suitcase.

TX
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking poles

I meant to type you have more choices on the mainland THAN on Kauai. Too late to edit my typing.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking poles

Probably a good plan to purchase the telescoping hiking poles on the mainalnd, with more choices of stores and more choices of poles.

Easy packing for travel.

Here, if they have them in stock, I believe as mentioned that you might be able to pick something up at wallmart. Others that we have met on the trails had purchased theirs at a reasonable price.at wallmart.

Also, Kauai ATV shop in Koloa Town, they also carry boots, and other trail gear. Not always in stock, however.

If you do purchase on the mainland, be sure they travel in your checked in baggage. Keep security in a happy mode.

We have been talking about getting a very good quality telescoping set of black diamond hiking poles, but wil do that next month when visiting the mainland.

Denny

Edited: 03 April 2010, 15:11
Texas
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking poles

From experience, if you get a telescoping pole, pull it apart, past the stop, and see if it goes back together and locks properly. I packed my first hiking pole in checked baggage, TSA went through the bag, and apparently pulled the pole apart to look inside. When I got to Hawaii, the pole would not properly lock. Now I have a pole from REI and it comes apart nicely. I have been wondering if I could take it in my carry on bag. Anyone have personal experience with that?

USA
Level Contributor
127 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking poles

Thanks for all the help. We have considered buying them on the mainland but are concerned about being able to take them in our carry on luggage, because we don't plan on checking any luggage. The telescoping poles we have seen at REI would probably not fit in our carry on luggage anyway. So that is why we thought it would be better to buy some inexpensive ones on the island. Has anyone been able to take them in their carry ons? Thanks again Tricia

8. Re: Hiking poles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2010, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Lihue