We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Art search???

New york
7 posts
Save Topic
Art search???

My boss just returned from Kauai with an amazing work of art, and I'd like to find one similar to it as a gift for my nephew. She didn't tell me where she acquired it, and I don't want to appear snoopy.

I'll describe it, and hopefully someone on this board can let me know where I can get one.

It is an image of a sea turtle, which seems to be done in almost 3D on a really rough white paper, and then it's mounted on the most stunning, iridescent blue and green textured paper, with what looks like flower petals embedded in it. It is framed between glass and appears to be suspended in the frame.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Art search???

I have seen similar things at the ShipStore Gallery in Kapaa and also some nice things at the small gallery in Old Koloa Town, the name of which I can't remember. Not sure if these are what you are thinking of. Do you know the artist?

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Art search???

Personally, i would just ask your Boss where she purchased it. She should receive the inquiry as compliment to her excellent taste. If not ...here are a couple of links to some fabulous Kauai artists(There are many)

http://www.trykauai.com/Kauai_Artists.html

http://angelaheadleyislandart.com/

Do you know the type of medium the art piece is?.......Is it a Giclee?

Watercolor, oil, acrylic

We particularly like the galleries over in Hanapepe.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hanapepe
Hanapepe
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,433 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Art search???

I think I've seen it at either the gallery in Princeville or the one at On The Road to Hanalei.

Just ask her where she got it. I agree it is a compliment.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
New york
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Art search???

Sorry, but I work for an International corporation, and my boss who is several levels above me lives in Paris and was on her way through our New York offices when she showed us the art work. She's not the type to buy a copy...so I'm sure it's an original of some kind.

It's definitely not an oil, watercolor or anything else I've ever seen.

She did say she stayed at the Hyatt for a medical conference.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New York
New York
United States
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,028 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Art search???

Aloha,

Could you ask your boss' assistant or admin?

New york
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Art search???

Did contact Shipstore Galleries, but the director of the Gallery stated he had nothing like the work I described. In fact; he said that if I found out the Artist's name, he'd like to contact her/him to represent their work.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,086 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Art search???

It almost sounds like Nancy Forbes who sells her originals at Banana Patch Studios. Something like this?

bananapatchstudio.com/catalog/…nfprints_l.asp

If this link doesn't work, go to Banana Patch Studios then artwork, then Nancy Forbes/turtles

California
Level Contributor
9,901 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Art search???

The Hyatt has a very nice gallery. Since she was staying there, maybe that's where she got it??

NE PA
Level Contributor
972 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Art search???

Possibly from the Patrick Ching gallery in Princeville Center. Patrick has several sea turtle paintings that appear to be 3D. We have several of his Gicle'es but I don't see the turtle one we have listed on his web site.

Here are a couple of his turtle paintings and you can get to Patrick's home page from here.

patrickchingart.com/storegallery/…image17.php

patrickchingart.com/storegallery/…image4.php

New york
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Art search???

Sorry, but it wasn't the wishy washy watercolor type work. It was solid and had real presence. And as I stated, it most likely wasn't a copy or giclee. You could never find a copy that was as vibrant or had the textures this piece of work did. Not sure, but I think she also mentioned the artist incorporated silk...with orchid petals from Kauai.

Thought for sure someone on this board would have seen this artist's work.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii