We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Location

Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Kauai Location

Ok... after hours of scouring the forums... I'm still stuck! Please help me experts! :)

I am travelling to Hawaii with my mum, a friend and her mum in September. We arrive in Honolulu on the Thursday morning, will fly over to Kauai and sleep off our exhaustion, giving us Thursday night, all of Friday and Saturday morning to explore this island before returning to Waikiki...

The problem is... my friend and her mum will want to go off on a full on guided day trip to see as much as humanly possible in one trip... my mum will want to go shopping.... I personally, want to do the helicopter trip and relax by the pool in a nice resort...

So I need a nice resort with a nice pool, not too far from shops and a good starting point for day trips! Any ideas?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,067 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Location

I think the Marriott in Lihu`e would suit you. Nice central location, great pool, on a swimming beach, some restaurants on-site and within walking distance. Several shops also a short walk away. Note that to do much shopping you're going to have to have a car - also for exploring the island. Not much in the way of affordable public transport here. Best options for shopping in my book: Hanalei, Koloa and Kapa`a Towns. A few things at Po`ipu Shopping Village. Hanapepe on the west side.

Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Location

Are taxi's available and are they expensive? What are the roads like? Lots of traffic? I am a bit concerned about driving from the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road! hehe!

LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Location

Taxis are not going to be readily available, nor reasonable.

You really need to rent a car.

In prior posts, Ozzies have really been keen on shopping, but for clothing, shoes , etc, not really the stuff on Kauai. I'd suggest she wait until you are on Waikiki to do the major shopping.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Location

<< I am a bit concerned about driving from the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road! >>

Rent a car.

I had the same concern on the "other side of the pond" when I rented a car in London and drove to Scotland and back.

Only almost killed us once. Pulling out on a four lane highway, I looked left.

No four lane highways on Kauai.

Look both ways.

Hank

California
Level Contributor
37,474 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Location

First of all there are tons of taxis. They are expensive but they are all over the islands now.

I totally agree that The Marriott is the perfect spot. Centrally located, fabulous pool, great restaurants close by and shopping too.

Check out Robert's Tours for excursions. They will pick you up at the hotel. The helicopter tours are right at the airport and the van for the hotel takes you to the airport at no charge.

Easy and convenient for just a few days on the island.

Shop on Oahu! It's much better.

BTW I LOVE Australia. I was there last Oct. What a place!!!!

Edited: 28 June 2010, 05:05
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,789 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Location

Totally agree that the Marriott in Lihue would be a great, central location. We spent 6 weeks in Australia and New Zealand and my husband did all of the the driving. Only messed up once on the east side of the south island of New Zealand. Pulled on to the 2 lane highway on the wrong side! Yikes!! Jebett gives you some great advice on tours. I might be more willing to go that route than rent a car and try to master driving for only a few days. Kauai is NOT the shopping meca so you might want to save that for Waikiki.

7. Re: Kauai Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 07:16