We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

Firstly, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good place for a decent and reasonably priced breakfast/brunch that is close to the Marriot?

Also, my hubby is a big burger fan, any good local places for a burger that we should check out?

Lastly, where is the best place to go get some supplies ( i.e. liquor/beer, fresh fruit, bagels, small amounts of grocery items/toiletries, etc.). Any places with a decent happy hour we shouldn't miss?

Edited: 02 December 2010, 22:32
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

Which Marriott?

The one in Poipu (Marriott Waiohai Beach Resort) or the one in Lihue (Marriot Resort & Beach Club)?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

My apologies, its the one in Lihue. We will be there from Dec. 17-24th. Also spending one night at the Aston Islander (on the 16th) when we first arrive, but are at the Marriott after that.

But, we will have a car and don't mind driving, so if there is anything that is really worth driving for feel free to let me know, as we intend to do alot of exploring and don't want to be limited to the resort. However it's good to have options close by too.

Edited: 02 December 2010, 23:12
California
Level Contributor
35,234 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

Across the street from The Marriott is the Kalapaki Beach Hut which has very good burgers. Kalapaki Joes is also across the main street and they have breakfast. Sorry but I have only had lunch there so can't comment if its good or not.

Other ideas for breakfast is Eggberts in Kapaa (Coconut Marketplace), Olympic Cafe in Kapaa, Joes on the Green in Poipu, Java Kai in Poipu. There are smaller mom and pop places in Lihue but I am not familiar with them. Other's can probably comment.

If you drive to the North Shore try Duane's Ono Burger. That's my favorite.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

Here is the link to the Big Save in Lihue, on Rice Street.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-save-inc-lihue

Rice Street is the road that takes you right down to the Marriott. The Big Save would be back up the street and "in town". It's a little deceiving how the address is Rice Street. I kind of remember it being off of Rice Street on a side street. Anyway, it's somewhere near the intersection of Rice Street and Highway 50. This is less than a 10 minute drive from the Marriott.

It's a nice small local grocery store chain. It should have everything you need.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

If you enlarge the map and scroll down you can see where the Marriott is.......at the bottom of Rice Street at Nawiliwili.

California
Level Contributor
35,234 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

There is a recent thread about a new bar opening across the street from Marriott. It is now called Market St Diner but soon will reopen as The Tiki Bar. They have a nice happy hour. My favorite place for a drink near you is downstairs at Dukes. You can't go wrong there.

If you want more happy hour ideas, there was a long thread a few months ago. Just type in "Happy Hour" and you will see it.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

For a nice, friendly, and good breakfast that is reasonable, I like to go over to the TIKI ROOM......as Jbett mentioned it used to be the Market Street Diner.

Good sized menu.....also, some buddies from the gym and I get together once a month for a breakfast....and eat there as well as some other local places.

About 3 pm......best happy hour on the island.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now....for a funky breakfast with a view, you might try the KALAPAKI BEACH HUT. Just off the marriot property before Anchor Cove Mall.

I like to order the ( about $ 6.00 or $ 7.00) 1/2 half order of their french toast, which comes with eggs and bacon. I take it home, but you can walk up the stairs to the second story for a view....they also have covered outside eating tables. Order at the friendly window downstairs.

Neither of the above are resorts, therefore you do not have to spend $ 70.00 for two of you just to eat a breakfast bufet.

We see plenty of visitors at both the new TIKI ROOM and the Kalapaki Beach Hut.....as well as locals.

Both places also have good burgers....as well as many other items.

Dani's is a short drive up Rice Street on the left hand side....basic breakfast diner......and Tip Top is more up toward the highway, and has excellent breakfasts.

All of the above have reasonable prices, and we have eaten at all of them.

Anoher place for an excellent burger is the Nawiliwili Tavern....the location of John Waynes bar in the movie Donovans Reef ( 1963 ). Same ambiance as the movie, and definitly not a resort.

But, we go there a lot, especially after hiking up at Kauai Lagoons....Stienlager brew is only $ 2.00. Bartender is the cook, and it is island kick back. Both visitors and local clientelle.

They are located next to the Marriot, and just before the Kalapaki Beach Hut.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, we like to head over to Dukes Canoe Club on TACO TUESDAYS, about 5 pm, which is located on Marriot property overlooking the beach.

Really nice tropical outdoor setting....mostly visitors, few residents, and it quite nice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also on marriot property, we stop once in a while at the Kalapaki Grille...a tiki bar, near the pool and beach. Very neat, friendly staff, fun, sunshine, view,and great times. Resort Prices, but not a big deal for those on vacation budgets. Totally pleasant.

You will not starve nor go thirsty, and the above list is could be longer with other eating places in your immediate area. All easy to locate.

Oh, we like to drive over to Poipu ( shopping village ) for KEIOKIS sunset early bird dinner. $ 19.95, small portions, but that includes bread, starter, entre and desert. We are stuffed.

Wonderful south pacific ambiance, indoor waterfall, open air view of lush garden and pool, excellent food and service. Sunset special is only for one hour....begining at 4:45 pm.

Now , this is our style as residents.......mix up the local with the resorts.

Denny

Edited: 03 December 2010, 14:25
California
Level Contributor
35,234 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

Just be warned that Kalapaki HUT is just that. It's not a fancy sit down place. You order downstairs and they have a small sitting area upstairs where if you leave your burger exposed for 5 seconds the local rooster will come and grab it and not leave a tip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

Thank you all for the great and informative responses. Much appreciated! :)

One last question, since its our 1st time even in Kauai we of course want to do a Luau, definitely one where pig is served (as per my DH's preference). Which is the "best" one , and will we have any trouble making reservations for this when we get to the island?

Edited: 06 December 2010, 17:42
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for breakfast/brunch near the Marriot?

Agree with above - you will not starve or go thirsty before fining your breakfast and lunch places near the Marriott.

For the Luau, Smith's has the widest variety of food and entertainment. It's just good fun, entertaining yet casual and upbeat. That's the one I'd recommend. Go early and stroll the grounds. Or combine it with their last boat trip up the fern grotto for a full afternoon/evening of relaxing Hawaiian style entertainment.

Get answers to your questions about Lihue