We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai on a dime

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Kauai on a dime

My husband and I are coming for a one night trip in mid-May. (we get to fly free, since he works for an airline, but we are poor and don't want to leave our infant and toddler for long, hence the one night trip). What are the most scenic things to do in Kauai using public transportation, and is there a safe place to camp? Any input would be great, thanks!

California
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai on a dime

Is this a joke?????

1. Public transportation is not good. There is a bus system but it doesn't go everywhere. You need to rent a car or stay at The Marriott in Lihue who offers shuttle service from the airport.

2. You need permits to camp

3. camping is safe in most places

4. buses don't allow backpacks

You really are flying all the way to Kauai for 1 day?

Edited: 14 April 2011, 15:56
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai on a dime

OK, let's walk through this...

The earliest flight out of Sea-Tac (from your name I assume that's where you will be departing) arrives on Kauai at about 3 pm...it will feel like 6pm to you.

Latest flight returning the next day is noon and you will need to be at the airport 90 minutes or so before that. You will be spending nearly as much time in airports and on planes, figure 16 hours, to spend 20 hours on island? And most of that will be night time!

California
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai on a dime

So you land at 3. You wait for the bus, transfer at Wilcox Hospital, wait for that bus, the bus takes an hour to get to Hanalei, you stick your thumb out to get a ride to Heana Park to camp because Hanalei is the end of the bus (could take 5 minutes could take an hour), you arrive at Haena at maybe 7, you didn't have time to stop for food or supplies and you redo the above the next morning.....

Sounds like caring for two babies would be easier.......

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai on a dime

Well....

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,401 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai on a dime

If you're only on Kauai for not even one whole day, why sleep?

Aloha

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai on a dime

No, it is not a joke. I can fly free, i can upgrade to first class for $120 round trip. I cannot stay in a hotel free, I cannot rent a car for free. Public transit is cheap and, at least in Europe and where I've been in the US, is fairly reliable. In Honolulu, it got me to Waikiki for $2.50. According to my guidebook, camping at a county park is $3 per night and the bus is cheap. I don't need fancy meals or hotels. Just relaxing in 70 degree weather will be better than the 50s I can expect here. I was just hoping that someone could tell me of a beach within walking distance of a bus stop and a safe place to camp. Someone who knew the area. I really can't be gone long, I have a 2-year old and a baby to come back to.

I didn't want criticism.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai on a dime

Am I missing something? How do we know the OP is flying in from Washington? By the wast in the pen name? That may not mean anything. Maybe they're actually flying over from another island for one night?

Edited: 14 April 2011, 17:04
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai on a dime

Actually, I'll be departing from Spokane and arriving at 11 am Hawaii time. Leaving around noon the next day or possibly considering making it two nights...

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,639 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai on a dime

Okay, so tell us where you're flying in from. You're not being criticized. You're being given the reality of the situation. By the time you land and get to wherever you want to end up , set up camp, your day is about gone. Wake up to just flying home doesn't make sense. You have to understand the public bus system is nothing like on Waikiki. Try to give yourself one full day / 2 nights.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai on a dime

It probably would be easier to take care of my little ones. But that's what I do every day. Sipping cocktails with my husband on the plane and watching movies and talking and then spending time in Hawaii would be a welcome relief, though, even if I had to do it on a tight budget.

Get answers to your questions about Lihue