We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mountain tubing

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Topic
mountain tubing

has anybody done this on Kauai? is it worth it?

thanks

nancy

Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mountain tubing

what is mountain tubing? sounds like fun. who do you book it through? we will be going in July.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mountain tubing

I have not done this myself, but I have talked with people who have. Sounds like it's a pleasant way to pass a few hours. It is a slow enjoyable ride, not a zippy fast thrilling slide down the shoot. You do spend some time in the dark tunnel, so they give you a headlamp. Probably best geared to families with pre-teens or adults who have a lot of kid in them or who are interested in the layout of the land up there.

I wouldn't put it at the top of a "must do" list, but for folks who have already "been there "and "done that" with most other activities, it's a nice change of pace.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mountain tubing

My husband and I did this and it was the highlight of my trip. (The highlight of his trip was the doors-off helicopter ride, but I'm not into thrill-seeking.)

You take a ride on a bus and the tour guides we had were great--they had grown up on the island and had lots of stories to tell. You get into your tubes and float gently down the irrigation ditch - although ditch doesn't decribe the width and height of the walls. The walls are covered with plants and vines and it is so quiet and peaceful up there.

You spend a good part of the time in the tunnels, and one is so low, that they yell duck when you get to a certain place. In the middle of one of the tunnels, they have everyone turn out their lights and tell some more stories.

There is always one guide at the front and one at the back to make sure no one gets left behind. Bring a waterproof camera to get some good shots.

After the tubing, they serve lunch at a swimming area before the ride back. We were extremely impressed with the knowledge and friendliness of the guides, and really had a great time. Once it was over, I wanted to go again right away.

The only fly in the ointment was that our group was my husband and myself, one other couple travelling together, and a group of 6 who were all together. They were quite obnoxious, to say the least. The next time we go, I'm going to ask to go with a group that is made up of separate couples, as we did that on our kayak trip and it was much more pleasant.

Don't expect thrills and chills (although the fresh water was quite refreshing) but a pleasant, fun, morning excursion.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mountain tubing

thank you for the info....we'll have to do that, I just wasn't sure before but now I am.