We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

I know some find the bar down there pleasant in the evening, but late nights down there (after 10 PM I'd guess) are another thing all together.

staradvertiser.com/news/…125677028.html

This isn't the first time..........

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

Thanks Dave...

But, we have often advised people to stay clear of that area late at night.

Also, what is 15 year old kid doing out at midnight in that area. Anchor Cove is a small shopping village and most everything, with the exception of JJ's bar is closed.

As far as adults....The boat people have been at the local bars knocking em back, and then walk back to the ship, through nawiwili park which is famous like most parks in most cities late at night. Not very smart.

Also, as far as crime goes....be sure to check out the daily news from Oahu, which is a constant flow of attacks, carrying guns, beatings, robbery, hit and runs, etc. I see it every morning....on TV.

We do not live there, we live here, and use common sense. And the ships crew personnel, and the locals that hang at the park have had altercations in the past.

Those people staying at the Marriot Lihue do not have problems , if they stay on property and Dukes closes at 10 pm.

NCL....the pride of america...should let people know that drinking late and wandering thru anchor cove and nawiliwil park on the way back is not a good plan. They could cross the street and walk until clear of the park and then cross back.

And, yes we go to local bars...have been for 17 years, but we are not out late at night. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

Erica hikes after dinner here at home....and goes over to kalapaki beach and back to Banyan Harbor.....whicn s past Anchor Cove, but she crosses over and stays clear of the park area at night. And is back home before dark. Seems sensible.

Ther KPD did step up enforcement some time back and had stopped a lot of the problems there.....they need to get back to patrols, stings, and arrests.

Denny

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,436 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

I've heard of similar issues at the park in Lahaina where the large banyan tree is located. We never walk through that park after dark. And it seems a bit shady even during the day. Nothing good happens afer midnight has been my motto. And I agree, why is a 15 year old boy out that late?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

Denny....

I'm glad I live on Oahu, where the crime rate is much lower than Kauai and our streets and parks are safe to walk in at night.

You hear of such incidences in Kauai visitor areas far more than Waikiki.

Get a grip fella, Kauai is like anywhere else in this regard.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

Amberlooo...

That is total non sense.....we have not had a problem in nawiwili park for maybe a year.

Just yesterday I was watching the HNL TV...and a long line of crimes that happened were being listed across on that tape that runs across the bottom of the TV , in addition to the reports of other criminal activity announced by the news people.

Not to mention your tent cities of hundreds of homeless that have occupied the beaches and parks on Oahu.

And why to people who live on Oahu call Waikiki and Honolulu MIAMI WEST.

Just yesterday when I was watching all of the criminal police reports from Oahu, I remembered several months or a year back when you spouted off the same none sense, and actually was going to write all of the daily crimes committed on Oahu down.

I will start posting a list on the Oahu board so you can be better informed.

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

I don't think this is black eye - but it is a reminder to visitors to THINK. The area that late at night is not "a walk in the park." Nor should anyone expect it to be!

Your holidays are precious; be as wise as you can to enjoy every part. This is sad to see, definitely, but please remember the lesson it brings.

If Denny can llive down there and not have trouble, I think everyone has a pretty darn good chance of the same, with a little discernment!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,638 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

How did this turn into a comparison to Oahu anyway? Dave820 was just giving a safety reminder to folks about Nawiliwili late in the evening. Oahu was never even mentioned by him.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

Late at night and drinking.....that shoud do it anywhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

As all posters suggest, a little caution and awareness of your environment is always critical. Over 30 years of dealing with money managers worldwide, I often found myself returning back to my hotel from restaurant meetings late at night through the dark back streets of Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfurt, Berlin, Milan, Lisbon, etc, etc and was able to steer luckily clear of trouble by staying sober and alert. In my humble opinion, Kauai is one of the safest places on this earth. Just reflect on the lack of robbery and looting that did NOT take place during 1992-1993 when much of Kauai was unprotected and open to easy theft during the rebuilding from the damage brought by Hurricane Iniki. This was in stark contrast to the massive lawlessness seen in Florida at near the same time following their Hurricane Andrew ! My hat is off to the almost universally sane & respectful people of Kauai....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

Totally agree Dick Goode

10. Re: Late Nights in Nawiliwili -- another black eye for Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 July 2011, 17:52
Get answers to your questions about Lihue