We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

Brisbane
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

We are trying to decide which hotel to stay at. The Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resort. The Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club is a time share and is cheaper. But many of the reviews speak of not getting the room requested. And the other is a resort. Has anyone stayed at both? Thanks for the help.

California
Level Contributor
38,359 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

The Marriott in Poipu are also timeshares, on a great beach and in a better location. I do enjoy a night or two at The Marriott at Kalapaki Bay but its a high rise hotel and a different experience. The Marriott in Lihue is a hotel AND timeshares so not sure if you are exchanging? If so its tougher to exchange in the Poipu location because its super popular. If my vote counts, I vote Poipu.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

I know there are 2 Marriotts in Kauai. The one Marriott, in Lihue, is both a timeshare and a hotel resort. I have just returned from spending a week there. I stayed in the timeshare side. The property is beautiful - large pool, gardens, Koi Ponds etc. Many restaurants. There have been mixed reviews about rooms/views. If that's the most important thing to you, you are correct to do your research to find just what you are looking for.

I have not stayed at the other Marriott Waiohai in Koloa, so someone else will have to comment. I believe I read that that hotel does not have a restaurant on the property, but someone else should confirm.

I hope this helps a bit.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,555 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

I think there are like four or more Marriotts on Kauai, at least two in Lihue on Kalapaki Beach (one hotel, one or two timeshares depending on how you separate the properties), one in Kapa'a, the Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach and the Marriott Waiohai in Poipu.

For me, it would depend on the length of stay, longer than five or six nights I'd opt for the condo.

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

I've stayed at the Marriott Kauai Beach resort in Lihue many times (full disclosure, I own a timeshare there) and like the spaciousness of having two bathrooms, kitchenette, living area, etc. Have stayed in the hotel portion only twice, once when we went to see the timeshares (had a garden view and it was just fine for us, but bought an ocean view) and once when it was the Westin in 1991. Lots of restaurants both on the property and nearby, short drive to either Kapa'a or Poipu for more restaurants. Renovated rooms two years ago.

Have only toured the Marriott in Poipu, great location but almost all timeshares and like stated, hard to trade into. I think there is one restaurant there, Denny has posted about it before.

California
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

Don't think there is a restaurant at the Marriott in Poipu but many close by at Koa Kea, Hyatt, and Kiahuna. If you can get into the Poipu location, that would be my choice.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

Seems to be confusion with the various Marriott names.

The "Marriott Kauai Beach Club" and the "Marriott Kauai Resort" are together in the same location on Kalapaki bay in Lihue. The first is referencing the timeshare units and the latter is the hotel section.

Together, they are called the "Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club" Here is a link to an aerial that shows you which building has most of the timeshares. There are 230 timeshares in the timeshare building a few floors of the middle building. The Haupu Building is solely hotel rooms.

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krkauaimarriott.html

The location in Poipu is called the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club". To make this even more confusing there is another new Marriott location of new condos further up the hill from the Kalapaki Bay location and there is also a Marriott Courtyard hotel. I don't believe you're talking about those though.

So are you talking about the Lihue location, in the link I provided above? If so, you can see they share the same basic facilitiy and amenities. Are you just wondering which units are better? - timeshare units vs. hotel room units? I've only stayed in hotel rooms in the Haupu building. Typical sized hotel rooms but very nicely renovated recently.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 01:36
Brisbane
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

That is exactly what I am trying to decide. Should I stay in the timeshares or the hotel in the "Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club"? By timeshares, I mean the hotel rooms. We do not have a timeshare. Which one has a better view of the ocean? Looking at the link (thanks for that), it looks like the timeshares in the Kahali building are pretty far away from the ocean. Is that true? Also, do the timeshares have room service? Thanks for all the feedback.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

"By timeshares, I mean the hotel rooms. "

Well, no, the timeshares are distinctly different from the hotel rooms. The timeshares have kitchenettes, seperate bedroom from living area, etc.

In any case it looks lilke you're referring to the standard hotel rooms there. Most of the hotel rooms are in the Haupu Tower and these have been completely remodeled. They're quite nice and updated. The Haupu Tower is the only building I've stayed in. On my last visit I requested a room towards the beach end of the building. The views of the water and the Ha'upu range of hills beyond the water was beautiful.

The Kahili Tower is mostly hotel rooms with a couple of floors that are timeshare units. Views from this building, as long as you're on a high enough floor, are very nice. You can have a direct shot straight out over the water.

Take a look at this link below. Oyster provides many, many photos of resorts and a very detailed description. I have it set for you to open up on the Marriott Kauai Resort and Beach Club page. Take a look at the hundreds of photos divided up by type of photo. You'll see pics of the remodeled hotel rooms. Some of the pics show the views straight out from the Kahili Tower.

oyster.com/hawaii/…

Good luck in your decision. You can use that link to navigate to any other resort on Kauai. If you choose the Marriott I think you'll be very happy. It's a great place and consistently ranked as one of the best buys on Kauai relative to everything you get there.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

Brisbane, you've got me a little confused still. You said you do not have a timeshare. But then you ask if the timeshares have room service. So are you planning on staying in one of the timeshares or in the hotel rooms?

Again, the timeshares are more like apartments, with a bedroom, kitchen and living area. The timeshares are for members who have purchased weeks through the Marriott Vacation Clubs. Non-members can stay in timeshares if they've purchased an owner's week from them or if you receive a special invitation from Marriott to view the timeshares and attend their sales presentation.

So I'm still presuming you're talking about a standard hotel room which are located in the Haupu building or the Kahili Tower. Both buildings can have excellent views and a similar distance to the beach. The more important thing is your location within each building.

The hotel rooms do have room service. I'm not sure if the timeshare units do.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 23:20
Southern California
Level Contributor
14,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay at Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club or Kauai Marriott Resor

The timeshare units do have room service. As far as maid service, if you are staying for a week (standard interval), you get a free "Tidy" service on your fourth day. If you want more frequent service there are several levels available for a fee.

Lot of the rooms in the Kahili Tower are timeshare also, have stayed on floors 4,5,6,7, 8 & 9 before.

Not sure if Marriott rents the timeshare rooms directly or not but there is a site called redweek.com where you can rent a week from an owner. I have only used this site to look at other hotels, but it has apparently been around for awhile.