We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery shopping

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
606 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery shopping

Is there grocery shopping close to Kalapaki Beach area we won't have a car and want to be able to walk to the stores.

Thank you for any info

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,966 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery shopping

You really need a car for Kauai. :)

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
606 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery shopping

Will we need one for the whole time we are there

, we were hoping just to rent one for some day trips.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,966 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery shopping

Yes - most things are quite spread out . . . and the cost of a taxi would more than pay for a rental car, especially if you book it ahead. Good luck! :)

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

California
Level Contributor
36,130 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery shopping

There are no grocery stores within walking distance. There's a convenience type store (ABC) but the grocery stores are in the main part of Lihue.

Here's a tip about renting cars. It is cheaper to rent by the week than daily.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery shopping

Rent a car! In practical terms you can't see the island without one.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery shopping

The amount of time picking up and dropping off a car for day trips would be a huge waste of vacation time. Plus you never know what part of the Island will really grab you. You may want to drive to North Shore more than once. While rentals have gone up in price it's still usually the cheapest part of the trip.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,966 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery shopping

You are so right scincali! I had some friends going to Hawaii that weren't even going to look at renting a car - they just assummed that because things were expensive in Hawaii, cars would be outrageous, when in fact, they are some of the cheapest . . . at least when booked ahead. They found that their entire car rental would be the cost of their round trip shuttle from the airport to their hotel. Now if I were staying in Waikiki, I probably wouldn't but any of the other islands, it is a must. :)

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery shopping

Coalminer, Car rental prices have really gone up, but compared to airfare, lodging and food it's probably the cheapest expense. Why fly all the way to Kauai and not have the freedom to explore where and when you want to? Unless driving is an issue of course.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
606 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery shopping

This is great information thank you all I had thought that things would be close enough to walk or use public transportation and rent a car a few days to explore. Now I have looked into one and it is not expensive to have one the 2 weeks we plan to be there.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,966 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery shopping

Jeepy - I am so glad it worked out for you - I am sure you are going to be very happy on your Kauai vacation. :)

Get answers to your questions about Lihue