We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
13 posts
Save Topic
local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

We will be leaving on the 18 March for one week in Poipu area.

We love FRESH fish, and local restaurants. We like all types of foods, Thai, chinese, mex, japanese, etc.

Most of all we want good food, espcecially my favorite, poke.

And other fish!

Any recomendations, we will drive for great food, at a local restaurant?

Not into fine dining so much as food and perhaps a view and a drink.

Thanks you for the help

F. McQueen

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
207 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

Our favorite is the Barbecue Inn in Lihue. Great food at reasonable price, also a favorite with the locals. Also down the street and around the corner in the same area is Hamura Saimen. Hamura's is definitely not fine dining, pull up a chair at the counter next to everyone else and squeeze in, usually standing room only, but known throughout the islands. And no view at either place, just good food.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

Hi CajunDancer,

I second the Lihue Barbecue Inn. No view, but tasty food and great service. It's our favorite.

You might like the Whole Enchillada in the Kinipopo Shopping Villge in Wailua. It's very small, but has very flavorful dishes. If you want a view, order it takeout and just choose your view. If your lanai overlooks the ocean, you can't beat that!

Also at Kinipopo Shopping Village is Kintaro Japanese Restaurant. I hear it's good.

KCL (Korean, Chinese, Local) Barbecue in the Waipouli Complex in Kapaa has very inexpensive dishes that are very tasty. Diner atmosphere, but again, you can order ahead for takeout and eat it where ever you please. How about a picnic table at Lydgate?

For fresh fish, if you want to cook it yourself, try the Fish Express across from Walmart. They will even season it for you, then you just take it to your condo for barbecueing or grilling in your kitchen. I hear that their poke is the best on the Kauai.

If you like Shrimp, you might try the Shrimp Station in Waimea. Again, no atmosphere except to be mesmerized by the cars passing by on the highway.

These are the most un-fine dining I can think of with good food, but if you change your mind about the "fine" part, you might try the Hukilau Lanai behind the Coconut Marketplace. They've got tasty fish items and more.

I'm sure someone will mention some places in Hanalei.

Calif.
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

Hanalei...Sushi Blues China Village up stairs- Good food, music and a veiw (say hi to Brian, Darrel, and Jan)

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

agree w/ hula4me on the fresh fish: Fish Express across from the WalMart is tops in my book. They have great Poke too.

btw, i'm curious, what exactly does a cajun dance like?

folsom
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

"Most of all we want good food, espcecially my favorite, poke."

You MUST go to nearby Koloa Town (5 minute drive from Poipu Beach) and get the poke served maui onions and seaweed at the KOLOA FISH MARKET. I think they had about 3 different styles of poke...Korean...

This is a to-go pick up place about 3 doors down the left side of the Koloa Big Save. Their hawaiian plate lunches were awesome too, as good if not better than a $75 luau. We took ours to Poipu Beach and ate at the picnic bench under the palm tree just to the left of the lifeguard tower. Not a bad way to watch a sunset while the kids played in the ocean. I had two different couples ask us where we got our dinner!

Also, their Lomi Lomi salmon was perfect. Drinks and chips available...this place highly recommended for poke lovers.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

cajundancer...now that you are back home let us know where and how much you enjoyed your poke.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

did kintaro wed nt...niiiice as always...go early like 5pm...wait can be 45min-1hr....

Canada
Level Contributor
8,964 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

Yes yes stop at Fish Express in Lihue across Walmart.

Hamura's is a definite stop for saimin.

If you are talking Cheap tasty food then it would be Sueoka's takeout window for burgers/plate lunch in Koloa town...just right beside Sueoka's grocery store. Can't get more local than that.

denver, CO
Level Contributor
475 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

this thread is over 3 years old--FYI

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: local foods-fish, loco moco, saiman etc.

Ewa has commented on many old threads. Arggggg......

Old threads = old and outdated information.

Get answers to your questions about Lihue