We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

I just booked a 10 night stay at the sheraton for my honeymoon in a garden view Mauka Wing room. Is that a bad decision? I have heard some pretty bad things about the Mauka vs. the ocean side. Is there any chance that if I asked nicely they would put me on the ocean side because of the length of my stay?

Thanks!

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
232 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

10 Days in a small hotel room? For that length of stay any reason you wouldn’t want to try a condo or timeshare property if the price was the same?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

I really didn't like those rooms. they are tiny - about 100sq' smaller than the buildings on the ocean side. Plus a lot of noise came through the connecting door to the room next door. The people in the next room were speaking in normal tones and we could hear everything they said.

We were told by the hotel manager that they were going to tear down those old buildings and build a timeshare before the economy turned sour. So they just bought new furniture and linens instead.

If you were staying only 1 or 2 nights, they might move you. But for 10 nights, very unlikely that they would be able to (or willing) to give you a free upgrade to a better room. Typically hotels are offering upgrades for a fee when you check-in, not for free anymore just because you ask nicely.

I suggest you look into getting a garden view on the ocean side - especially since it's your honeymoon. It's worth the added expense.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"If you were staying only 1 or 2 nights, they might move you. But for 10 nights, very unlikely that they would be able to (or willing) to give you a free upgrade to a better room."

There is no such thing (except on the very, very rare occasion) as a "free upgrade" anymore - when I worked at the Front Desk at the Sheraton it seemed like half the people who checked into the Garden Wing (mauka) wanted a free upgrade because it was :anniversary, honeymoon, birthday, etc. Unfortunately not only is it not possible, but about 90% of the people at the hotel were also celebrating a special occasion.

Usually they will offer to upgrade you for a fee at check-in if it is available. That would be your only option if you do not want the room type that you booked originally.

I don't have a problem with the Garden Side, I think when they remodeled those rooms they did a fantastic job and for the price, they are great!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
39,764 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

I agree that a 10 night stay at The Sheraton is too long. Sorry, I like the hotel, but I wouldn't stay that long in that room category. I have not heard wonderful things about that side of the hotel. Read the reviews. For what you are probably paying, you could get a really nice condo and have dinner at the new Sheraton restaurant 4 times. I would also stay part of that stay on the North Shore. Cuts down on driving.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

The rooms in that wing have been nicely renovated. Sure, they're a little smaller than the ocean wing buildings but they're just fine.

Honestly, on the 'relativity scale', these lower priced rooms at the Sheraton are one of the better deals in Poipu. For the beach location, great swimming beach, amenities of the Sheraton and within walking distance of the Sheraton, it's a great bargain. This wing has it's own pool which is nice and much quieter and private than the oceanfront pool. For the same price you could stay in a hotel room on the east shore and not have the great beach and other amenities in walking distance. You're getting much more for your dollar in this wing at the Sheraton.

As far as staying there for 10 days it's your choice of course. I see nothing wrong with staying in a hotel for 10 days but I might want to split it up between 2 hotels for a little variety and to break the monotony. It would give you 2 places to base your sightseeing out of. It's not imperative that you choose a condo just because you have 10 days.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Volente, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

The Sheraton Poipu has a great location. We have stayed in the oceanfront wing several times. Friends that stayed in the garden wing rooms were not impressed. I think you could stay in a Kiahuna Plantation condo (next door) with more space and be closer to the ocean for about the same price. The main difference is the condos don't have A/C. That may be important depending on the time of year you are going to be there.

One of the nice things we like about condos is that we can have breakfast and sometimes lunch at the condo depending on our activities. Then we go out for dinner each night! Kiahuna has some great grills so we may even have dinner

in one night.

Here is an example of one of the condos at Kiahuna: www.kiahuna22.com

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,837 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

Thanks for the opinions

@ghremer Where can i find condo rates for this cheap?

8. Re: Sheraton Kauai Mauka wing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:41
Get answers to your questions about Lihue