We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
135 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

Hi, my husband and I want to do a helicoper tour in May (with doors closed) in Kaui. Blue Hawaiian or Island Helicoper or please give me suggestions, There are so many tours I would lke help selecting (I have been on their websites , thanks JB

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

I haven't one my tour yet (actually it is my husband and parents that are going) but after a lot of reading here on TR I decided on Mauna Loa. The biggest reason people give Blue Hawaiian and other companies a bad review is because they get a bad seat. People who get good seats are happy. Mauna Loa offers three good seats (it's three plus the pilot), they won't book you with a stranger (you need at least two people) and you get to decide doors on or off. We leave in a week, and I will report back about how it goes.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
135 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

Thanks, please write an update, have a wonderful time!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

My son and I flew with Safari and we loved it.

We even bought the DVD of the flight and after watching the Descendants, raced home to watch it all over again.

Amazing scenery .. with doors definitely closed!

There were 4 of us in the back seat, my son one of them, and he enjoyed it as much as I did ... with me on the window taking the photos. He said he saw everything OK, as the windows were huge.

The pilot would rotate, so everyone got views of all things he was talking about.

Fairmont, West...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

My husband and I were in Kauai in March and we toured with Mauna Loa Helicopter tours. We opted for the doors off so that we could get some amazing pictures with no glare. Adam was our pilot and he was very knowledgable and friendly. We decided that if we were going to spend that kind of money on a helicopter ride, we definitely wanted good seats. It was really nice that we did not have to share our helicopter with anyone else. I would recommend to anyone who is interested to choose Mauna Loa and opt for the doors off. It's really not scarey, but a little cool so bundle up!!

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

We're going to Kauai for the first time in June! We plan on using Mauna Loa for the exact same reasons (no chance of getting a bad seat and not having to share the flight with strangers) based on reviews both here on TA & Yelp as well as reading LOTS of forum threads.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
43 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

This is good information folks! Thanks for sharing your experiences with the different tour operators.

alberta
Level Contributor
229 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

We went last week with Safari. Their prices were very good, yet quality was not sacrificed. The pilot was Ian, and he couldn't have been nicer. His narration was very good. Their shuttle driver from the office to the heliport was hilarious - the guy could've done stand-up. All in all, well worth it. Highly recommend.

East Coast
Level Contributor
280 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

We chose Island Helicopter for the Jurassic Park landing and we very happy with that choice. It was, for us, the highlight of the trip. I wanted to have a closed helicopter, which eliminated several other companies. Our pictures came out fine, by the way. The downside is that there were six passengers: two in front with the pilot and four in the back, meaning that two people were in middle seats in the back. They don't split up couples and the lightest people seem to snag the front seats. The pilot was a Vietnam vet from Kauia, and his experience and calm demeanor allowed us to just relax and enjoy.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

Italygoing,

My family loved their tour with Mauna Loa. They all decided on doors-off at the end, and my dad, who is afraid of heights, said "it would have been a mistake to have the doors on."

Now that I've seen the helicopter for myself, I think I would go with doors off if going with a smaller helicopter. If I wanted doors-on, I now think I would use Blue Hawaiian and just hope for a better seat. That said, we now know we wouldn't choose doors on and would definitely go with Mauna Loa in the future. It is a small, very professional and personable operation.

Maidstone, Kent...
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Helicoper Tour in Kauai ?

We went with Jack Harter Helicopters. These guys where really good. Hotel pick up and drop off. Our flight was a full 1hour 30.. Where dark clothing as this will reflect in the glass. Take fully charged Camcorder plus camera. It was brilliant and you will love it.

Get answers to your questions about Lihue