We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free train rides this Saturday on "Paulo" - 125th birthday!

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Free train rides this Saturday on "Paulo" - 125th birthday!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

For anyone who is visiting here this week, there is a very special event planned for Saturday - "Paulo" the steam engine will be celebrating "his" 125th birthday by offering free train rides - in addition the Grove Farm Homestead will be offering free admission.

Here is info from today's paper:

thegardenisland.com/news/local/public-invite…

If you have not yet met "Paulo" or gone to the wonderful Grove Farm Homestead Museum - this is a fantastic opportunity!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Free train rides this Saturday on "Paulo" - 125th birthday!

Assuming Paulo makes it back from repairs, see the following link for location of train rides as it is different from the museum location:

kauaitrains.com/PR%20paulo%202012%20PDF.pdf

Note: I have taken the ride on a "Train Day" and it is informative. Short ride goes up a ways in a valley and back the same route.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free train rides this Saturday on "Paulo" - 125th birthday!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I think this is a real "undiscovered" treasure - since it doesn't advertise in visitor publications, etc.

The train ride is IMO, far more interesting than the one at Kilohana Plantation for instance - and is free! Of course it is only once a month, but the number of visitors that go to this when it is offered (2nd Thursday of each month) is pretty much nil.

A wonderful thing to be able to experience. Since they are talking about starting demolition on the old Lihu'e Mill soon - I don't know how that will ultimately affect the train rides that are given on Haleko Rd. - across from the Mill.

Malama Pono,

Janet

3. Re: Free train rides this Saturday on "Paulo" - 125th birthday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Lihue